Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
South Carolina
City
Goose Creek
My husband is on a vent and I am dealing with a lot of mucus plugs. I give him plenty of water and mucinex twice a day. I also shoot saline bullets in his trach. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi there I been taking care of my mom on a vent since 09 and the way I avoid mucus plugs is when her mucus get thick I use the humidifier notone that connects to the vent but just one u plug up. I also do not change the hme vent filter everyday because that helps with moisture. This has helped a great deal she has only had one mucus plug and that was in 2011. Hope this helps oh did u try doin treatment on the nebulizer of saline

Momals2008-I've answered you put I'm not sure where it is. I am not computer savvy so bear with me.

Do you let the vent give a few breaths after the saline injection? Also is he on some sort of nebulizer? If not ask the md for one & be sure he knows this. Definatly need humidity . Good luck. I'm an x icu nurse and can't imagine how hard it is for you guys who are not medical. Good luck...bless your heart!

Milanompa, thanks so much for the reply. He doesn't like the nebulizer treatments. I give him2 puffs of Ventolin HFA in his MDI line that is in the tubing that goes to his trache. He also has a moisture exchange that I change daily. Haven't had to bag him in a couple of day. He had his trache changed Wednesday and had to bag him twice to get all the bloody secretions out. Seems to be better today. I have learned so much on this journey and have so much more to learn. Glad I joined this site.

Yes, after you put in the saline bag him a couple times that kind of prevents as well as treats the plugs. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back