12/2012
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

My mom has a suction machine but she can't stick the wand down her throat as she still has a gag reflex. What is the cough assist that I have read about in some of the posts? Would this benefit her? She is 86 and has bulbar onset als.

Thanks for all your help, I'm just trying to have everything I can on hand to make her life as comfortable as possible. I am also considering bi-pap but am not sure about it. What is the difference between that and c-pap?

My husband can not tolerate the suction machine either--and it really only clears the muscus in the mouth and upper throat anyway. a cough assist is a machine that you forces you to cough by deeply pulling air out of the lungs (not the technical explanation ok!) you use a mouth piece, it pushes air in and then pulls it out making you cough. it helps move mucus out of the lungs. it is suppose to help keep lung function for longer period of time and is suggested to use even before you get bad.

The bi-pap is suggested over the c-pap, becasue it is bilevel (in and out) (again not technical!) . patients using that have a much easier time breathing and it is non invasisve and can be used as much or as little as the patient wants or needs. most use it at night if breathing is difficult lying down. some progress to 24 hours if needed.

No matter her age, you want her to be comfortable as possible. Do you go to a clinic? you resp. therapist or pulmonologist can explain all the option to her. better than me for sure!

B

Thanks for the quick response Barbie. I'll get in touch with her docs about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back