Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
US
State
MN
City
Mound
Hospice nurse just ordered the morphine & it should be here soon. My mom is terrified about giving that to my dad. She took care of her own father who was on morphine and he had hallucinations and became combative. We are suppose to start him out at .25 mil. Should we be terrified about this? I need to ease her worry about this and make dad comfortable. Mom is 85 and I'm worried about her as well.

From what I understand it will make him comfortable and breathe easier.

My dad had hallucinations on morphine and codeine. It just depends on the person. Most people don't. My mom..sister...brother had no problems with it. It just made them feel better.

For many it just makes them more comfortable. Hoping that your Dad gets the intended relief and no extras.

I was very nervous about giving my husband morphine. .25 ml is really a very small dose. It will relax him and help him to breathe easier. It will be OK. Honest.

My wife has just started with morphine, hospice wanted .5ml but she has anxiety ofer the use so opted for .3ml as needed. It has helped a lot with the "air hunger" attacks. She still is fearful of using too much...

My mom was also very fearful of the morphine. She did not want to ever be "out of it" as she put it. We started with .1ml and worked up and never went more often then 4 hours even at the end. I think even at her end she was only getting .5ml so I think just finding where she is comfortable with the dose is all you can do. Your not going to hurt her and she can let you know what dose she prefers. Just keep notes so you remember what works and what doesn't.

Hugs,
V.

Most won't react badly at all. One thing some do experience initially is nausea, so it might be a good idea to have some phenegran on hand in case of nausea

My dad had the most fun hallucinations on morphine! That aside... many hospices use Atavan along with the morphine which will lessen anxiety and seems to help lessen the hallucinations. Since Glen was already on an anti psychotic for the FTD, the morphine wa nothing but helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back