10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
Will medicare pay for any home help? Baths, feedings..ect

We had hospice that medicare paid for-it included nurses, cna, and social worker-they all worked together to help me all that they could. We are in TN and we have something here called TNCare that he also had and there is a program that TNCare has called Choices that provided a CNA to be here while I was at work which was such a blessing-he was taken care of and I could still work, otherwise this traumatizing experience for me and my 2 little ones would have been even more compounded with financial issues.

No, Joni, Medicare will not. Unless there is a medical necessity (like ALS isn't) such as a bed sore and the doc orders home health, there is no home care. You have to request hospice to get in home care. Talk to the doctor about getting hospice. It won't hurt to ask!

Medicare will only pay through hospice for things such as: CNA, Nurse, Social Worker, Chaplain and some of the equipment. In hospice, the nurse will come about twice a week, and more so for medical emergencies, but will not be there for long-time stays. CNA will be out as many times as your hospice rates the medical neccessary for how much care your significant other needs. My husband got baths once a day during the week days, and then I would give him baths on the weekend. Social worker, for us, came out 2 times a month. Chaplain came out once a week. And you can have volunteers come out to read and such, and that normally was once a week as well. Medicare will not pay for a special matress that helps with bed sores until they are in hospice, etc. HTH.

My understanding is Medicare will not pay for home health care, it will pay for home doctors appointment and home PT/OT if you are confined to your home. Tom could still get out in his PWC but only with assistance and he received these services at home paid by Medicare. Personal care is not paid for by Medicare. Medicare will pay for hospice and the hospice company will send a CNA to the house for personal care. Usually one to two hours a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back