All of a sudden, we're back in ICU.. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karigav

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
Ky
City
ky
Hell all! Its been a long and trying summer! Dad made it out,of the hospital in mid august, and just had the pic line and anti biotics stopped on wed. As soon as we think he will be stable for a while, he gets a curve ball! He has been having trouble coughing for a while, and just recently has had a build up of mucus in his throught. Last night they called 911 when he was having trouble breathing, and when they got to the ER, he had to be inhibated and put on a vent. They decided to take him off the vwnt this morning and now he is really labored. They were bringing in a bi pap machine to help him when I leftthe hospital. What in the world should we expect next. Dad said he didnt think he was going to last much longer. Now he said that in July too. Im really upset and confused as to what the next step will be. A heads up would be nice. Any advice?

Is he using a cough assist machine? What about a suction machine?

He may be able to feel better using the BiPap, as it will help his diaphragm push the lungs.

No one really knows with this disease, what is next. I hope they are able to make him comfortable and he will be able to go home.

Did you mean to say 'intubated'? If so it sounds like they performed an emergency tracheostomy. Why did they take him off the vent? Bi-pap will help and there is also a machine called Trilogy that works both as bipap and as vent if he needs/wants invasive ventilation.

His blood oxygen levels are decent, so they took him off of vent, afterwards he said no more vent... Now on bi pap and doing ok. He still labors, but trying to cough is the doosey.. Hospital is saying he looks like he's had a heart attack over tje last several days and that is what brought all of this on... Who knows

You have been through the wringer, haven't you?

Can he get the Trilogy machine with his insurance? Being intubated sucks--it's not at all the same as a trache, though.

I believe the Trilogy works as a non-invasive vent. Also, he could probably use a cough assist machine if he doesn't have one.

Good wishes are with you

Hey Karigav,

Sorry to hear about your dad...and keep him away from the hospital, they are sure to kill him there ! Regarding the BiPap, I would suggest that you contact the provider of that equipment and get them to increase the pressure so that his lungs will fill more...

This is one of the best places for info......

Fight on,
Shane the Pain

thank you all for the responses. I am saddened to say that Dad passed on Monday 10/24/11 due to complications from the ALS. My step Mom and I were with him when he took his last breath. We are very sad for our loss, but happy for him since he can now walk again in heaven. Thank you all again for your support through this very difficult journey.
As always, gentle hugs...
Kari

My condolences to you and your mom Kari. Take care of yourselves and each other.

Deepest sympathies on the loss of your Dad.

I'm so sorry Kari. Your Dad went through a lot in short time. Love to you and your family.
Laurel

Kari has a memorial for her dad in our Memorium Forum.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back