Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Ugggg! This am while giving Mom a shower (on the toilet) I hit myself in the lower lip with the metal bar of the hoyer lift. Thought I knocked my teeth out. I didn't...just have a big lower lip. I am sick of hurting myself. It has gotten so difficult showering Mom. I only do it once a week because it is just me. I am so exhausted by the time I am done. Has anyone tried those hair washing basins that hook up to water? Not sure how exactly they work. I can't get Mom all the way in the shower because her door and shower are not wide enough so we just do a shower on the toilet. Her bathroom has ceramic tile floor so I just put a bunch of towels down to soak up the water. Why why why isn't there any help available. I am so sick of this society. I feel like I am losing my mind again.......forgot to sign the contract in April for our oil service. Now the furnace has not been cleaned yet and I just had a delivery of oil that was $795. Can't afford to pay that let alone the contract fee. i am going to call them tomorrow and see if they can work with me. I hate this. I just can't seem to get ahead of the bills! BREATHE..... there! Thanks for listening everyone!

I'm sorry Sweets. I do understand how tough it is on you CALS especially without any help. Have you contacted your closest ALSA or Guardian Angels or churches and asked for help?

No help because Mom is on a vent. The office for the aging offered a few months ago...I have to be here because of the vent but thought I could at least get a nap so I said "yes". I gave them all the info...haven't heard anything since. i will call tomorrow and check on it. I am just tired, I think that is why I keep hurting myself. Sick of not having enough money to pay bills. I know that so many people are worse off then me so I try not to ask for help with bills. Stu has helped me tremendously. Can't ask again. My business is slowly slowly picking up...but not enough to pay the bills. I will stop complaining now! Jut needed to get it all out!

Sending good thoughts your way Sweets. Seems like ALSA would have some help for you. I think you should be agressive (sweetly agressive anyway) with the office for the aging people. Keep us posted!

Laura, Eddie is pretty well off, yet this sickness can drain a lot of money as we all know. If it were
not for the VA, I don't think I could do what I do.

Keep on keeping on, I do hope you can have a benefit or something to help. Contact the churches.

blessings for all your hard work.

Jim

Laura- I find that bedbaths are easier than trying to give a bath when the PALS is sitting up. Is this possible for you? I just stick towels under the arms and tuck under torso and then under the legs and private area.
Would your mom be willing to have her hair cut REAL short? If so, it is possible to wash hair (when up on commode or toilet) and then rinse with a washcloth.
Hope this helps just a little. Hang in there.

Sorry you hurt yourself Laura. Like Liz I too did bed baths. I found an inflatible hair wash basin very handy as you can wash hair lying down with it. Hope you get a break soon.

I feel so badly for you Laura. I second Liz's bed bath idea. Being a retired nurse, I have gone through the hoyer lift horrors on my own and know you feel like a wet rag when you are finished bathing someone. A nice bed bath given regularly is not a bad way to go. Much easier changing a basin and getting hot water a few times during the bath--just keep your mom warm after you finish with each body part ie. cover up each limb as you finish. Pantene makes a nice foam dry shampoo that works pretty well too and feels good after. How about trying to do the showering only when you have a helper, and bed baths in between? Thinking of you and sending love and hugs.
Laurel

Laura, does your town have a Family Services dept? You may be able to get some financial aid to help pay one or more of your bills... my town just gave us $500 to pay off my electric bill which I had paid down from 700 to 200, then it was back up again before I could catch my breath. They also gave us $100 in Target cards to buy whatever we need.

I've never done the Hoyer lift, but agree that if the lift is that hard for you to do singlehanded, you need to advocate for your Mom via the senior center; if you really hurt yourself, who's going to step up and take care of things? Bed baths sound more relaxing for both of you.

Good luck.

Laura honey you are going to have to be very careful, your mom needs you healthy and we need you here...

Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking of a way to cover the end of the bars with something soft. Bed baths may be easier....hair, she won't cut it and I wouldn't even ask her. She's never had it this long and it is so pretty. She loves when I style it, I think I will look into one of those trays...thing is she can't lay flat on the bed. I will have to think about this! Thank you for all your kind words. Son't know what I would do if I didn't have you all.

Laura- she doesnt have to lay flat in bed. she can be sitting up. this is what i do with my pALS who is on a vent.

OMG! Laura, you style her hair! You are an absolute saint! I give my husband a shower once or twice a week, but he's not on a vent. In between that, I give him a bird bath. He sits in his recliner and I shave his head and face with one tub of water and then bring another to do the rest. I know women are different, but it can be done.

I really wish you could get help! Sorry you hurt yourself!

Laura, I have used a "hair washing cap" that I bought at Walgreens. It costs about $5 dollars. You just open the plastic package it comes in, put it on and massage it through the hair well. No rinsing required. Just dry and style as usual. It works pretty good. I use it on my mom in between shower days, and she sits in a chair while I do it. Hope this helps.

Laura

Thanks, Laura,
We tried the shower cap....didn't like it. Didn't really "clean".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back