Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
My PALS Krissy has constant pain in her right butt-bone (ischial tuberosity).

It hurts even when using an inflated convoluted ROHO wheelchair cushion.

Can anyone recommend a really good cushion?

(We have a Permobil C400, seat size 18x18x3.)

My husband uses an Invacare countoured cushion with a gel filled hole. He has used this in his recliner as well as wheelchair for over a year now. It helped with his pain and so far no bed sores.

It may sound a little strange--but I've seen folks with tailbone area pain that use cushions made for hemorrhoids. They are donut shaped and take the weight completely off the tailbone area

It's possible the pressure settings are off on her cushion as well. Too hard perhaps? Anyone that spends all their time in a wheelchair is at risk for not only pain but pressure sores.

Does the pain subside when she's lying on her side? Are you sure there isn't something going on with her spine in addition to the ALS? Sciatica can be extremely painful

Not sciatica. Good thought, though.
I'll get a donut at Binson's.

Pressure settings? I just know to pump it up. I'll have to find out more about the ROHO cushion.

Thanks bunches, notme.

Binsons is great. I deal with them whenever possible. The guy that works there (can't think of his name, the one with the limp) is just great. he fixed my scooter and charged me nothing but the cost of batteries.

You might try getting some type of better mattress for her bed, too. The hospital beds are notoriously uncomfortable. Sometimes the egg crates just don't cut it for comfort.

I have a guy from CL holding me an air mattress for mine because I can't sleep in my bed at all--I wake up in agony unless I sleep in my chair--which makes my leg pain much, much worse. He's also holding a lifting recliner for me as I'm having more and more problems with just standing from sitting.

Also--get her some pain meds! Those docs that are worried about addiction need to think about themselves being the ones in pain instead. There are some good PM docs in Orlando if she can't get them from the VA.

Is she treating at the VA or the Tampa ALS clinic?

We use the ROHO cushion for the Permobil C300. We pump it up completely then let the air out for 10 seconds. Has she tried repositioning the chair to eleviate the pressure off of certain points. My husband adjusts and readjusts his chair all day long. It helps, but its not perfect.

I thank you all. Can't write more because every hour is getting busier. Thanks.

Invocare is a good name brand. Mom just ordered a mattress from invocare for dad it is awesome. It does rotation so we don't have to physically move him.

The inflation pressure on a ROHO cushion is extremely important when it comes to comfort. This link shows the recommended inflation procedure.

Adjustment Instructions

Hubby has same chair/cushion and is constantly readjusting. It doesn't help that he is in it most, if not all day during the week. My a$$ would hurt too, I bet.

you got the best one. Play with the air in it, my guess is you might need to let air out to relieve preasure in those areas. The more air the firmer it is putting pressure on heaviest part of her butt, if u let air out it allows those areas to concave like making less pressure on those areas, also I use kids floats, the wings I inflate them half way making them mushy and place them diffrent areas here n there and move them around even when mom is in bed, it seems to help

My name is Danielle Boenisch and I am with The ROHO Group. Like others stated, the air level in the cushion is important. It should not have very much air in it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back