Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Last night, my husband's finger got caught in his shirt. This morning, it is a bit swollen and really hurts. Any ideas on what happened? Any ideas on how to help it? We are completely snow bound today, so no emergency room visit is worth it.

I know this sounds trivial, but he is VERY upset! (and blaming . . .) If my son had not been right there, listening to him, I might believe I did it on purpose !

Last edited:
I would recommend you call a Dr and ice it in the meantime. Perhaps some ibuprofen. See what happens.

Try to immobilize it with a makeshift splint between icing it.

Missy, as to how it became so miserable, I assume his hands are affected by the disease. If they're like my feet and ankles, just lifting my leg by holding the ankle brings bruises. The left ankle is apparently permanently puffy from semi-"sprains" caused by my boot getting hung up on something like a doorframe when I turn, and that foot gets pins and needles by the end of every shower. It's absurd how easily my feet and for that matter, most of me, is bruised and hurt. It isn't permanent pain in my case, simply temporary...except where the sling straps go around my legs. That never gets a chance to heal.

You're a wonderful caregiver. You can't help these things.
xo

I would not worry about it. The swelling should go down fairly soon. I am always having that problem as my hands are useless. I thought a few times my caregivers were going to break either my hand or wrist. Fortunately that has not happened but it has caused severe pain and I can't even call out to tell them they are hurting me.

Joel, do you figure lack of muscle makes all the bearing load go onto ligaments and tendons? All I know is (surprise!) muscle really protects us from pain, whether joints or on forearms or calves.

Yes, you are correct.

I am sure it isn't broken, he can move it. It has no bruising, so it's doubtful that it is sprained. It is slightly swollen - jammed? This is the hand that has no function. I know it hurts him, but he is acting like I amputated his finger by yanking it off - on purpose. This day is going to be hell.

Missy, You're in my thoughts. I just posted the sleep answer to the question you asked on the other thread.

As always, thank you Anne. You are such a special person.

OK, movement does not mean there isn't a slight fracture... I know that one from personal experience! From years of taking care of athletes (brothers, husband, kid....) first aid would be keep it elevated (as simple as propping it up on a pillow). If he's trying to move it, imobilize it by taping to the finger next to it. Ice for 20 minutes every 1 - 2 hours. If he's not on any other pain medication then Ibuprofen could help. If he is, I'd put a call into the doctor's office and get their input about pain.

Good luck.

Are you PALS sensitive to touch? Les has begun to call my hands "Man Hands" as he says I am so rough with him when I touch him. I do not feel that I am being rough at all.

Yes, actually, it's amazing how sensitive, but mostly where the muscle is gone. I don't know, but my mental picture is that the sensory nerves must have less insulation than before. Phil is not heavy handed. But yes, when he's picking up my feet I struggle. Now he's trying to work on my posture, and he pulls and pushes while I yelp and at the same time assure him that I want him to do what he's doing.

Yes, actually, it's amazing how sensitive, but mostly where the muscle is gone. I don't know, but my mental picture is that the sensory nerves must have less insulation than before. Phil is not heavy handed. But yes, when he's picking up my feet I struggle. Now he's trying to work on my posture, and he pulls and pushes while I yelp and at the same time assure him that I want him to do what he's doing.

I experience the same thing. My body is very sensitive, hurts to be handled and I know my caregivers are being gentle.

Lori, that is hilarious. Our husbands must remember that from the old Seinfeld episode. My husband says the exact same thing - man hands!

Luckily, the OT made it through the snow and ice today. He says it is the lower thenar muscle on the trapezium bone. He says it is a very common injury for stroke victims, too. It just needs rest, ice and ibuprofen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back