05/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wake Forest
Hi,

Phil is now doing all of his eating through his tube. He was able to drink fluids but now that is difficult too. His mouth is so dry, he struggles and takes sips of fluid to help. I know there must be another way and I know there will come a time when he just won't even be able to take sips anymore.

What is a good way to help his mouth stay moist? He does breath out of it most of the time.

Thank you so much,

Stephanie

you can get something for it. biotene or mouth kote. I also have a small spritz bottle to use . It is so annoying and I am taking something to stop saliva because i choke so much. It is is constant pain to deal with it all. hope you get some relief

Stephanie, I really know how Phil feels, my mouth is always dry because I haven't been able to drink anything even sips for months. I agree with Nancy, I also have a small spray bottle filled with water that I use to wet my mouth. I was given a small bottle of moisturizer spray called Toothelle made by Sage Products Inc that works well and I like better than Mouthkote.

I am also spending a lot of time n my room with the humidifier going as our house air is very dry in the winter. Sitting here watching the CFL Grey Cup game and holding my lips closed with my fingers so I breathe through my nose, silly but it helps dry mouth.

Thank you Nancy and Barry! I went online and ordered the Sage Products last night. We will try the others if Phil doesn't like this.

Thanks again, Best wishes and prayers for you guys.
Stephanie

My husband takes a prescription called Evoxac to help produce more saliva.

The problem is not a lack of saliva, if anything it is too much saliva so I take Glycopyrrolate to reduce saliva. The problem is that because my tongue is dead the saliva I do produce just pools in my throat causing choking so I am drowning on saliva at the same time as the rest of my always hanging open mouth is dry as a bone. I do a lot of flushing with my waterpik and suctioning and that also helps along with "drinking" a lot of water.

Marianne asked me if I really meant Toothette instead of Toothelle like I said earlier and she was right. I must have been too asleep to figure out that T has the bar on top and L has the bar on the bottom :shock:
Back to grade 1 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back