Reason
CALS
Country
SGP
State
SG
City
SG
So after an hospital stay that involves UTI, my mum hasn't been able to pass urine by herself. The urologist saw her and diagnosed her with neurogenic bladder.

We now drain her every 3 to 4 hours and monitor her urine levels. Mum was initially shocked and upset, but got over it quicker than my sister and I. I guess I didn't realised how upset I was till people ask about her. I start bawling every time I have to talk about her additional conditions.

Anyway, does anyone has any pointers on how to care for someone with this condition? I would appreciate any comments. :) Thanks in advance.

I am sorry about this new development. I don't have any advice but wanted you to know I am thinking of you and sending prayers your way.

That is a nightmare. I am so sorry. Would you want to ask her doctor about the Suprapubic Catheter? That's the kind that is inserted into the bladder, coming out of the abdomen. No sitting on it, in other words, less chance of infection... same cleaning regime as a foley, from what I've read. I have no idea if it would do the trick for your mother, but it seems like a better solution than having to "drain her" like you do, which I would imagine is very uncomfortable for her.

My mother had a "neurogenic bladder" at some point, but due to age (I suppose), she was simply kept on the Foley the rest of her life. She was in her eighties.

Last edited:
Joel, thank you for your encouragement and prayers.

Abbas, I just read up briefly on the Suprapubic Catheter. I doubt my mum will want one, given where it will be, but I will ask her. Thanks for mentioning it! As far as draining goes, my mum told me she prefer to be drained than have a foley and urine bag. The week she had one, it was very difficult to clean her up. The draining procedures looks painful and uncomfortable to me, but she told me she can't feel anything.

I just need to remember to lock the door when my grandma is around 'cos she is forever leaving the door open when we are draining my mum. Sigh.

Thanks again! :)

I thought you only got bladder problems with ms? Thought als atleaset spared this function? I am concerned because on a couple of occassions my mum has had trouble emptying her bladder, even though she had lots of water, she didn't feel the urge to go and couldn't go either. it's happened twice now....can anyone advise me further?

many thanks

Subo, Make a fist and press on her low abdomen (the bladder) while she is on the commode. That should hopefully cause some urine to come out. If none will, she needs to be considered in a dangerous state and be catheterized to void, as in an emergency. I had this problem a year ago, but could still press on my bladder to keep enough going through not needing the ER visit.

These problems are actually very common with ALS. Also, sphincter probems are common, from the posts I've read. The doctors often aren't all that knowledgeable about these weird things--but these ARE muscles... so in a way it makes sense.

Subo, did you try what abbas said? Did it help?

The thing is my mum had a follow up appt with her urologist and now she has an overactive bladder, but she cannot pass urine by herself. We're still draining her every few hours and more frequently if her diet consisted of a lot of water/watery food.

I'm so sorry that yet another symptom has surfaced. It's unbelievable, but my sister just messaged me (has trouble talking) about an hour ago, stating how scared she was because she was unable to urinate today. We are taking her into the hospital tonight for tests. I took her to the Mayo clinic last year, for diagnosis, and they did the urine test, and it came back showing that she was only able to empty two thirds of her bladder. I also thought that the bladder was not affected with ALS. They did use a catheter(forgive my spelling) to extract the urine. She has been pretty good up until today. We are taking her to emergency tonight, and I will let you know what they say. I'm going to get her husband to press on her lower abdomen as suggested...maybe that might give her some relief. I wish you the best with your mom....Laurie xo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back