Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Mom fell again. Going just about 7 steps from the toilet to her bed. Legs just wouldn't move. She fell on the side of her leg and her knee is swollen. Spent the day in bed yesterday. She is up today but I had to do a sponge bath and she cannot stand up at all. God give me strength to do this. I am going to be needing a lift. I hate this damn disease! It makes me sick in every part of me!

I know what you mean Laura. My husband fell two days ago. It was the "perfect" fall, and he didn't sustain any real injuries, but I realize now that I am going to have to be prepared to start using the lift. It is all so unbelievably overwhelming. Your in my thoughts today.

I am sorry to hear of the struggles each of you are having. As hard as it is I think it is time for a lift and wheelchair before something serious happens. Using them will relieve a lot of stress. I know the transition is hard. Wishing you the best!

So sorry for the revolting developments. I've fallen three time in the last two weeks. We had to call 911 each time. 200 lbs of dead flesh, even the cops had alot of trouble.

Makes your mind spin worrying about he future

Best of luck

Bythesea,

Do you have gait belts? My son and I can pick up my 6'1", 285 lb husband with one. I'm 5'3" and my son is 5'10", 126 lbs.

Sorry, Laura! It just keeps getting "better and better," doesn't it?!?

Hope your Mom feels better and you too!

Does your mom use AFO's? These really helped my husband. He had foot drop and he was able to walk much longer with these. He also used a small power wheelchair in the house when I was not there to help him. Never tried a walker because his arms were weak too and thought it would be too dangerous. The AFO's were covered by Medicare too.

My husband has had ALS for 5 years or so and I still don't use a lift for him. He doesn't have any movement in his legs and arms and cannot hold himself up at all. I move him manually and so far my method of lifting has not injured either of us (I lift with my legs and arms - not my back). In the past when he fell before he had his AFO's I would lift him myself - we have tile in our house so I would pull him to the nearest chair/sofa and lift him up under his arms while I was sitting in the chair - it was the only way I could lift him when he had fallen. The AFOs were a godsend. God bless you and your mom.

Sorry but, what is an "AFO"?

Fancy term for braces!

Oh, thanks! She has braces but her problem is that her legs will not work anymore. They just won't move. I am soooo stressed. I have to look into getting a lift of some kind. She and I have been crying on and off for the last two days. I have had a reoccurance of Shingles and am just exhausted!

Oh, dear Laura. I'm so sorry you have Shingles. Miserable! I guess you've asked your MDA and ALSA if there's one you can borrow from their closets? And, have you put socks on her so her feet slide easier? That was my "last gasp" with transferring. I kept sticky soled socks behind me in my wheelchair in case I needed traction, but went around with both kinds of socks in case they helped. Then Phil used a gait belt. When his sciatica kicked up he started using the lift and sling.

I email my ALSA rep when I need to ask for something. She works from home and gets back to me really quickly... 7 days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back