Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Help! My husband is waking up about every 1 1/2 hour to pee. It is about to drive me insane. I don't ever really get to sleep. We are on night 6 of this. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with how much he drinks before bed either. Any suggestions? My newborn babies never woke up this much!

I used to have that problem but learned to sleep all through the night. I started by holding it as long as I could then gradually the time between pees lengthened and eventually I could last all night. I can't remember how long it took before I could sleep all night but it was over a month. It was a hard month but worth the fight.

I hope you can find success somehow!

Thanks Joel. I think my husband is so afraid of accidents that he wants to be in the bathroom at the first hint that he has to go. I'll see if I can get him to try that. Somethings got to give!

We had the same issue... We found that putting a "texas" catheter on at night helped. (it's just like a condom hooked to a tube.)
He no longer had to worry about accidents in the night and we got to sleep again.

Miss
I found this information in one of Sadiemae's posts:

Urinary urgency or frequency: Although bladder and bowel function are not involved early in most patients with
ALS, urinary urgency and frequency are common when there is some upper motor neuron involvement. We
generally start therapy with oxybutynin.

Best wishes

Thanks everyone - good info

I've been experiencing increasing urgency the past few weeks. Like Joel, I had trained myself out of getting up at night, but I've had to get up two nights this past week. You might consider seeing a urologist, enlarged prostate is common and there are drugs that can help.

Can also be a side effect to the baclofen.

my mom was like that, waking up serveral times a night. 2 to 3 times night for us meant it was a good night. now serveral months later isn't like she fights falling asleep. will sleep all day but not at night. She just doesnt wake us to pea, it's to pea, adjust her in bed, float feet, unfloat feet, candy, tv and so on, it's geting really bad. at this my sister and i know some of the reasons are because shes afraid of dying alone (no one beside her). We went to the E.R. on Sat. at about 9 pm and were still in E.R. until Sunday at 1oam before the had a room. Mom literally would close her eyes for 2 sec. and then ask for somthing. you would no sooner sit before she was tapping for you again. I thought I was going to loose my mind.

hi well i have some good news (hopefully), since my last reply to you mom was in the hospital. She was sleeping really there. the nurses said she would only wake up once most night but never more than twice. So my sister asked what they doing. my mom is on serveral different meds, 1 for anxiety, 1 anti-depression, sleeping pill, pain killer and a pain patch, each 1 at different times of the day and never all at the same. at the hospital they gave them to her all at once right before bed, we are nowing also doing that and its working. she been home now for a week and has been sleeping well ever since. hope this help.

When discussing medicines with doctors or nurses, be sure to tell them the times you take them. Husband takes amytriptiline, but he was taking it too late at night. we were on a schedule where he took meds every 6 hours. Now we have to take meds 6 times a day, instead of 4.

my mom was like that, waking up serveral times a night. 2 to 3 times night for us meant it was a good night. now serveral months later isn't like she fights falling asleep. will sleep all day but not at night. She just doesnt wake us to pea, it's to pea, adjust her in bed, float feet, unfloat feet, candy, tv and so on, it's geting really bad. at this my sister and i know some of the reasons are because shes afraid of dying alone (no one beside her). We went to the E.R. on Sat. at about 9 pm and were still in E.R. until Sunday at 1oam before the had a room. Mom literally would close her eyes for 2 sec. and then ask for somthing. you would no sooner sit before she was tapping for you again. I thought I was going to loose my mind.
Tifferlynn, thank you for writing this about your Mom. My Mom is doing exactly the same thing, and has been for a couple of months. We have tried everything to help her sleep through the night, but nothing has worked. She will ring her bell (that's how she calls for aid at night since she is unable to speak) about every 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get up to pee...she pee's a couple of drops and needs help back into bed, where the cycle continues all night. Each cycle takes about 20 minutes - several minutes to get her up from bed, pivot to the bedside commode, and seated...time to urinate, then up from the commode, pivoted back into bed, and all tucked in comfortably.
Then, she will doze during the daytime!
I will make the suggestion to my son (who is her nighttime caregiver) and her daytime CNA to look into combining some meds up at nighttime to see if that will help. Something has got to change, my son is absolutely exhausted!
I hate the fact that I live a few states away and cannot provide much help with her care, but I do travel to see her for long weekends every month. This disease is so difficult! :(

I found (like chis in a post above) that Texas, or condom, catheters are very convenient. I use them during the day and will at night when needed. I don't like waking my wife up to help me during the night...she works full time.

OMG...this brought back memories. There was a period of time when My hubby would wake up several times a night too! Man, would I be grumpy. Many times he felt as though he had to pee...but can never pee laying down....soooo frustrating for both of us. ANyways, to make a long story short...we tried every sort of sleeping pill. Now 3 1mg ativans do the trick and he sleeps through the night. Hang in there....I feel your exhaustion.

Along with ALS, my husband is also diabetic, he pees often at night. Between the pees and low blood sugar's I was up & down every night too, totally worn out and was crying at everything... we tried external cathetors and OMGosh, what a difference.....I get my full nights sleep and he gets to stay in bed with out the strain of anyone having to lift him to the potty. The ALS people gave us a box of samples to try out and after two nights of sleep I called the 800 number and ordered more which our health insurance helps pay for.... With a good nights sleep I'm able to take care of him all day without falling apart.... I hope you find help soon, us caretakers need a good nights sleep to keep going....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back