Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Va
City
Skipwith
I am interested in getting feed back on the caugh assist and Vest. It is my understanding that the Caugh Assist will do fine but just like to hear from those with persoanl experience.

Nat

I don't know about the vest but Don hates the cough assist only breaks it up but if they can't cough it out. Don became very frustrated as it would get caught in his throat and he would seem to choke more and get more anxious. This is just our experience with it.

Jodi

I questioned about the suction machine but our ALS Clinic said no deep suctioning as it can cause muscle spasms in the throat then trigger a respiratory destress situation. Mouth suctioning is ok but to get it out from where Don had it caught would not have been good according to the ALS Clinic it so they would not even order him one.

My mom has been using the vest for over a year and she feels that it breaks up the stuff in her lung and makes. she uses it two times a day and as she has tried my tools given to her by the ALS clinc this is one she uses along with the suction machine are her go to items to make her feel comfortable as my mom can cough or swallow. also, and my dad and mom swear by mucinex. My mom takes all her food and meds via stomic feeding tube and they feel that mucinex or some form of that tablet helps keep her more comfortable. The suction machine my mom uses is to clear stuff from her mouth and throat. Im not sure about cough assist but if it his the machine that you put over your face and it is to pull stuff from your lungs. mommy tried that and also hated
I hope that you find something thet gives you comfort and is useful and hopeful.
Katie

sorry wanted to say that mommy cant cough or swallow so this is helpful to her

I have terrible spelling i am sorry

It amazes me, the disparity from clinic to clinic on equipment usage!

The cough assist is more than just to get stuff out with. The tech described it this way. All lungs are sticky and normal breathing keeps the lungs blown up when you are not breathing as deeply it starts sticking together so really using the machine early as a lung exercise you keep them open. That is why they encourage you to use it.
Think about a balloon that has been blown up and is damp inside then you let the air out and sit it aside in a few days if you try to blow it up some parts are stuck together.

Mom is on a vent and OUR ALS clinic was thrilled when we started using the cough assist. Mom used it before she had her trache. She feels that it has saved her life more then once. For her, deep suctioning is necessary. We also use a suctioning machine. The cough assist brings everything up...it is the suctioning that can be a danger. We just can't get the suction catheter far enough down and it would scratch her sometimes. We use the cough assist many, many times a day. I have seen the vest. It also looks like a good tool. With the help of papaya tabs crushed and put on the back of her tongue and apple cider vinegar that helps break it all up.

[/I questioned about the suction machine but our ALS Clinic said no deep suctioning as it can cause muscle spasms in the throat then trigger a respiratory destress situation. Mouth suctioning is ok but to get it out from where Don had it caught would not have been good according to the ALS Clinic it so they would not even order him oneQUOTE]

I don't understand this at all. If you don't get it out it will cause pneumonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back