Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
My dad is waking up multiple times during the night, thinking he has to use the bathroom. ( Sometimes he "goes" and other times he doesn't. ) Mom has to get up to help him. It is exhausting her. ( Mom *has gotten a urinal and a bedside commode but I don't know if these are being used, or to what extent, but *still, Mom has to get up to help Dad. ) Is there anything that can be done to help? (Mom is in her 70s. )

Debbie

We used a condom catheter for dad when he was having similar problems. It certainly helped so both mom and dad could get better sleep.

It could be prostate related. His GP can do a blood test and prescribe meds for it.

AL.

Also, is he taking Ambien CR for sleep? That can cause sleep walking and all sorts of problems. But, it's probably what AL said.

We also use the "Texas" catheters. (like condoms w/ a tube on the end). They work well all day as well, for those w/ mobility issues. Ours comes w/ foam strips that have adhesive on one side. We don't use the foam strips. We buy self adhering "horse" wrap that we buy at TSC. It come in 4" widths. We cut them lengthwise in 1" strips. Then we wrap them on. They hold better, and more comfortable.

As far as I know, Dad is not taking Ambien. I will be going to Ohio next weekend and will ask, and will also suggest to Mom that she might want to try using an external catheter for night time. Maybe I'll just go ahead and phone her this weekend. If she'd like to try the catheter, I can buy some and take 'em out with me next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion! ( I'll also suggest the possibility of a prostate issue so that maybe this can be checked out at dad's next doctor appointment. )

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back