Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Pittsburgh
This isn't a new research study, but a double-blind study in 2013 showed that median survival of PALS treated with 3g/day of Acetyl-L-Carnitine was 45 months versus 22 months in the placebo group.

Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of acetyl-L-carnitine for ALS.

AuthorsBeghi E, et al. Show all Journal
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2013 Sep;14(5-6):397-405. doi: 10.3109/21678421.2013.764568. Epub 2013 Feb 19.

Abstract

Our objective was to assess the effects of acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC) with riluzole on disability and mortality of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Definite/probable ALS patients, 40-70 years of age, duration 6-24 months, self-sufficient (i.e. able to swallow, cut food/handle utensils, and walk), and with forced vital capacity (FVC) > 80% entered a pilot double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group trial and were followed for 48 weeks. ALC or placebo 3 g/day was added to riluzole 100 mg/day. Primary endpoint: number of patients no longer self-sufficient. Secondary endpoints: changes in ALSFRS-R, MRC, FVC and McGill Quality of Life (QoL) scores. Analysis was made in the intention-to-treat (ITT) and per-protocol (PP) population, completers and completers/compliers (i.e. taking > 75% of study drug). Forty-two patients received ALC and 40 placebo. In the ITT population, 34 (80.9%) patients receiving ALC and 39 (97.5%) receiving placebo became non-self-sufficient (p = 0.0296). In the PP analysis, percentages were 84.4 and 100.0% (p = 0.0538), respectively. Mean ALSFRS-R scores at 48 weeks were 33.6 (SD 10.4) and 27.6 (9.9) (p = 0.0388), respectively, and mean FVC scores 90.3 (32.6) and 58.6 (31.2) (p = 0.0158), respectively. Median survival was 45 months (ALC) and 22 months (placebo) (p = 0.0176). MRC, QoL and adverse events were similar. In conclusion, ALC may be effective, well-tolerated and safe in ALS. A pivotal phase III trial is needed.

I ordered some a few weeks ago. I'll try it for several months and report if I notice any slowing or other affects.

Thanks for posting John, please keep us in the loop!
Hugs
Linda

Hi John,

Will you be going for the full 3gm/day? (6 of the 500mg caps)

I'm starting 2x500mg l-serine next week, see ted video ...

Just a suggestion: a lot of these amino acids are available in bulk powder form, which may be easier to take in higher doses. Also, Acetyl-l-carnitine and l-carnitine are two different things. Not sure what their difference in effect would be, but note this post is Acetyl-l-carnitine.

Hi Greg and Linda,

My A-L-C arrived today. I will be taking 4x500 mg/day, split into morning and evening.

Hey, I just noticed I have become a "Very Helpful Member" and it only took me 8 years to get here.

Last edited:
I will be taking 4x500 mg/day, split into morning and evening.
So, 2gm total. thx!
Hey, I just noticed I have become a "Very Helpful Member" and it only took me 8 years to get here.
Cheers dude! Here's to (at least) another 8!

I've been taking 1000 mg/day of Acetyl-L-Carnitine for the past month or two. My progression has plateaued during this time, but I can't say for sure if it is related to this supplements or not

>Dam Max! Wrong forum! ;^)

ok, Which do you think is better? :)

>ok, Which do you think is better [for a comment on L-Serine]?
Well, this one (Acetyl-L-Carnitine) isn't bad, but arguably the one for L-Serine is better .... 8^}

Ok MB, a bit more info here, plz!
I've been taking 1000 mg/day of Acetyl-L-Carnitine for the past month or two. My progression has plateaued during this time, but I can't say for sure if it is related to this supplements or not
You are ~1 year post diagnosis: how has your progression been prior to this?
What other supplements are you taking?

you know it's too bad all these drugs and over-the-counter thingies don't actually add calories to the diet would kill two birds with one stone:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back