Annals of Neurology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, thanks for posting the link,

Rick

I tried to get into this one, but was rejected because I was too far along. very invasive ...

Thanks, just one more step.
Hugs
Linda

AfraidButNotAlone, Neuralstem is using fetal cells. That's why patients are receiving immunosuppressant drugs with the stem cell injections.

Interestingly, the Emory ALS clinic is running a trial to discover if the immunosuppressant drugs might be responsible for Ted Harada's remarkable response.

Brainstorm is using stem cells grown in their lab, - but developed from the patient's own cells. No immunosuppressant drugs necessary.

Also, Brainstorm's product can be delivered via injection whereas Neuralstem uses a risky / difficult surgery.

The results of Brainstorm's phase II trials in Israel should be available this spring. Their phase II trials in the US either just started, or will start soon. And Neuralstem's phase II results will be available near the end of this year.

None of it moves fast enough, does it?

This is a good article from Forbes last November about Neuralstem -

A Closer Look At Neuralstem's ALS Treatment - Forbes

Blessings to all.

Max, I am curious as to why they felt you were too far along? You were diagnosed last August and the trials are designed for those diagnosed within the last two years.

Regardless, advocates are constantly pushing for a wider mix of patients to be enrolled in trials. So hopefully things will change soon.

I do know they are excluding bulbar onset patients because they didn't do well in phase I trials.

Take care.
-Marilee

Hi, Marilee --

>Max, I am curious as to why they felt you were too far along? You were diagnosed last August and the trials are designed for those diagnosed within the last two years.

Their FDA rules would not allow for any speech impairment. I was onset in 2010, but not diagnosed until Appell got me in 8/13.

>Regardless, advocates are constantly pushing for a wider mix of patients to be enrolled in trials. So hopefully things will change soon.

Slim chance. :-( I am going to the MDA/ALS thing in May in DC for Congress & WH, but the FDA is not going to change with any alacrity.

>I do know they are excluding bulbar onset patients because they didn't do well in phase I trials.

yup and this was a particularly viscous trial with embryonic SC's that trash the immune system. I was probably lucky to be excluded. I tried for the Israel one up at Mayo, too, but only 25 slots. I just started the Fingolimod one out of Appell's clinic in Houston.

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back