Diagnosis
07/0009
Country
US
State
XXX
City
XXX
I cough a lot after drinking or eating. It feels like it something in my throat that I'm trying to clear up.
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Erica

That used to happen a lot to me. It turned out that it was going in to my lungs, and I ended up getting trached a few months later.

John

John, I haven't seen any posts from you for a long time. How are you doing? You mention trache-tell us more. All the best, Dani.

Hi Erica,

If you're able to eat quickly, DON'T! Pace yourself, try not to talk and eat at the same time. (or while reading, on the computer, etc, CONCENTRATE!) I was advised not to use a straw as it delivers the drink too quickly. (Some people have been advised to use one, and at first I did, until I ended up with pneumonia, and the SLP had a conniption when she learned I was using a straw)... Supposedly tilting the head down and tucking chin in helps, but I've not had a lot of success with this maneuver.

The thing is, you could have several combinations of scenarios. One is that your vocal cords might not be closing tightly, or your epiglottis moving into place. Another possibility is the sphincter muscle at the top of the esophagus does not open every time, and food or liquid is stacking up.

Also, miscoordination, such as spillage down the throat before consciously swallowing.

If it were just thin liquids, then using a thickening agent would help. But, some people dislike having to do this, so adding it as a step without really knowing why you're having a problem might be just adding to your overall non-enjoyment of the ALS Experience, if you know what I mean.

Absolutely call the clinic you're seen at, and tell them you've noticed a change with ease in eating and drinking, so they can schedule you for another swallow study.

Thank you Rose.

Dani

I am doing OK, I have recently started using the computer again. When I got out of the hospital, my arms did not work very well, but I am now using a mouse with my feet.

I have tried many eye-gaze systems, but they don't seem to work with my glasses. Hopefully, something will turn up.

I quit working at the end of March, and I was trached five weeks later.

John

Hi John,

Glad to hear you are doing well, it is all about adapting and willingness to try doing things in a new way. I hope you are getting the right kind of support and keep making the best of this thing called life. Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back