Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Salt Lake City
After my wife was diagnosed with ALS she lost her ability to speak. As a result she could not call me to come to her aid if I was in another room. I bought a battery operated door bell and placed the button next to her bed or wheel chair and took the ringer or bell with me. When she needed to call me all she had to do was press the door bell. Later when she was not able to move her arms and hands I purchased an intercom system from Radio Shack. I placed one unit next to her bed and set it on "send". The other unit I set on "receive". The system was so sensitive that I could hear her breath from anywhere in the house. With these techniques it was easier for her to sleep and for me to not worry about her while I was in another rooom.

SLC, welcome to the forum, thank you for your kinda and insightful post, that is a great idea, this forum is such a valuable and helpful tool. You are welcome always.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for such a good idea!

Two way radios have an amazing range. Voice activated is the feature you are looking for. Baby monitors are great, but the range is primarily in house, or close by anyway. I just tested a pair of radios. I could go to the neighbours 6 down and beyond ...could hear him breathe. Will be buying them this week.

We use both, two way radios and the door bell to allow my wife Corinne to alert me. The only function she has left is minimal movement of her right hand and has been mute for 2.5 years.
The two way radio is use when I go outside or we take it along when we go out and I have to leave her in the vehicle to run errands. The radio is placed on her lap and she is able to push the call button feature on the face of the unit with her knuckle to call me.
We have a number of the remote door bells placed around the house and on the porch so it is audible everywhere.There is a button Velcro mounted beside the WC as I have accidentally left her stranded there on occasion. She also holds one of the call buttons in her right hand while we sleep together or if she is napping to waken me or get my attention when she needs turning over or some other help. Inexpensive and works very well.
Gary

We too used the battery operated door bells ... then when Tony lost his voice and his hands his parents found a video camera/ monitior that had sound that we used at night in his room. So his caregivers could look at the video monitor and hear when he made a sound as he could still vocalise just not form words when he was in bed. We found that we could hear him breath too. It worked well right up until he went into the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back