Diagnosis
04/2003
Country
uk
State
lincolnshire
City
spalding
does anybody know any exercises that help with pls to leviate spasms pain and strengthen muscles. I used to take Baclofen but it used to send me to the toilet every hour Jackie

hi jackie.
firstly,welcome to the forum:-D
sorry to read about your husbands death,it must have been so terrible for you and i can understand your pls getting worse after such a blow.

i did have pt for a few years but due to exercise intolerance and the fact that they do it just to keep you going(it can not really improve things)i decided to call it a day.
you can do simple stretching to relieve spasms and stiffness,light exercise to keep strength going (though i told my pt i get enough exercise trying to cope doing day to day things that end up wiping me out)
any small repetative movement that pushes the muscle or limb a bit is ok,its important not to push yourself too hard so as to end up a blubbering,crunched up wreck(been there,done that:roll:)

by the way,i am now 10yrs with pls. still walking with aids though not as active as i would like to be.
we are a fairly happy bunch here and you will find lots of support and info.:grin:

I stretch my hamstrings and my calf muscles several times a day and it helps me for a short time. As far as excercises go, for me personally, I can't. Just being on my feet and walking makes my legs shake, cramp and spasm more. If I am squating for any length of time and fatiguing my thigh and calf muscles it just makes me hurt more. I wish it wasn't like that but unfortunately it is for me. I hope for you the exercises help and allow you to be more mobile. Good luck! Roger

HI Caroline lovely to hear from you i still keep trying every way and which way anything to try and keep on my feet with living on my own i have great friends and my 2 children gary aged 39 this year he is married with 3 girls who lives just 15 mins away and andrea who is 33 lives 1 hour away they have both been brilliant since their beloved dad died. i stilll like to be independant but sometimes get very lonely and low wondering what is in store for me.Very happy to have joined the forum and for you to have replied to my question thanks again JACKIE

hi jackie.
its really good to hear from you too:-D
i have a 20yr old son who lives with me plus 2 cats,if you click on my user name it will take you to my profile were you will find my albums.
baclofen has been my life saver for 9yrs but i know some can not tolerate it.

i can understand it being hard and lonely on your own,really it has not been that long since your husband passed away.
your children are not too far away to visit you ofton?
do you have good neighbours you are friends with?
please,if you ever feel down just pm me. i am a very good listener and will do my best to cheer you up .
(((hugs))):-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back