n/a
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
toronto
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of massage is best for spasticity and pain due to fatigued and spastic muscles.

When looking for massages I'm bombarded by all these different types, i.e. swiss, deep muscle etc etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

I think Frizzel had mentioned in a previous post about pressure point massage. I guess this is good for fatigued muscles. Anything else?

Hi, I know some mention neuro-muscular massages that is a good question, you are such a good daughter and advocate for all of us..

Hoping,

Thanks for the massage tip and kind words. What I do is nothing compared to what you are all enduring. I wish I could do more.

Have a good night

Hi sral. Stay away from deep tissue or hard massaging. I tried it and got bruises and more pain.

AL.

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for your input. It was the deep tissue or hard massage that I was most curious about because it states in the massage description that this is the one that " uses a combination of movements to ease sore muscles, release tension and
improve circulation, leaving you rejuvenated and refreshed" - doesn't sound too bad.

My mom biggest issue is the pain coming from extreme spasticity. I was thinking that a massage may make her aching fatigued muscles feel better.

Al did you have any good experience with other types of massages that deal with the soft tissues (more traditional)?

Hi there:

Like you, my mom has PLS. She has found massage so helpful that she gets one every week. It seems to ease her pain, so we see it as essential. Her massage therapist lives nearby and comes to her apt, which makes it much easier for her. I believe she gets a combination of deep tissue and Swedish. I think it comes down to personal taste; some people prefer a light touch, others a deeper one. How about trying out a couple different styles and see how your mom responds? Given that there is no cure for this cruel disease, I think it's worth pulling out all the stops to at least ease the discomfort. It's kind of you to be supportive of her in this way.

And perhaps it would be worth your treating yourself to one from time to time, too.

take care.

gb

I have a daughter that is a massage therapist. She will ask the client which type of massage is preferred. I would not start with deep tissue as an initial experience, especially if you have muscle soreness. As Al pointed out, it can bring on bruising and more pain.

Try a gentler form of massage first and see how your body responds. This would be my suggestion.

Zaphoon

Greenish Blue,

Thanks for sharing your mom's experience. The plan is to have a massage therapist come to my mom's home too. I'm hoping it will help. The reason I asked which is good for PLS is because I recalled reading that there was a certain type to stay away from but I can't remember what it was. Thanks again!

Zaphoon,

You're very lucky to have a massage therapist in the family (your daughter nonetheless). Massages are expensive and start to add up if you feel you need one weekly. Thanks for the tip on deep tissue. I think we'll see what the therapist thinks but gradually build her up to whatever is needed.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back