Reason
PALS
Country
uni
State
unknown
City
unknown
I have read all over the place that ALS does not hurt and that if you have the pins and needles and numbness that t you do not have als. I have numbness often in my hands and feet, and a pain in my right bicep that does not seem to go away. It just seems like there is so much misinformation out there- i know you guys seem to have the answers :)

IN THE BEGINNING OF MY als I had muscle pain if I used that muscle. I had pain the next day Like I worked out at the gym. So yes there is pain in ALS I also have numbness and tingling.Pat

IN THE BEGINNING OF MY als I had muscle pain if I used that muscle. I had pain the next day Like I worked out at the gym. So yes there is pain in ALS I also have numbness and tingling.Pat

Hi pat, You seem to have every ALS exception out there. Thats scary.

Ashley

I KNOW! I have a feeling there are many forms of ALS.

I also get numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. i usually notice it in the mornings before i get up, but also in my hands at night after using them all day.

Same with me.

I have numbness in my hands and feet when I wake up and then in my finger tips and random times throughout the day- and then in my feet it just kind of comes on in my toes. Dr. said hogh blood pressure but I am wondering . . .

pldo,
One of the side effects of certain high blood pressure meds is numbness and tingling in your hands and feet.
Do you have atrophy in your hands and feet.
Is it actual numbness that you can't feel with a pinprick.
I kept saying I had numbness to but its not total numbness, I can feel if I am stuck with a pin.
My hands and feet are atrophied, so without the muscle there is less insultlation in them and they get ice cold and feel numb. They also get that pins and needles feeling in them.

As about the part about pain and ALS, it is a crock of _____. That is the typical text book version of ALS.
I am not diagnosed. put I get alot of pain. The first time I went to The ALS dr, he told me there's no pain in ALS
also.

I guess we could have other problems causing pain. Like artirtis circular problems causing numbness and tingling. Just because we have als doesnt mean we dont get other diseases or problems

It is not total numbness- I can feel a pinprick. My hands and feet are not atrophied- that I have noticed. I do have pits in my ankles thought that were not there before.

pain and ALS

This is how my PA described it to me: "before you knew you had ALS, if something hurt it was probably an over worked muscle or ligament, or your arthritis or a strain or just a pain. Now that you know you have ALS, if something hurts, it's probably the same types of things as before". Makes a lot of sense to me. Having ALS does NOT mean I will no longer have any pain.

Sigh,
geehdee

The shoulder that hurts is the one I carry my daughter with- but it just feels so bad and sometimes it is hard to drive. The pain is radiating down to my hand and fingers.

I would venture to guess ALS might make person more susceptible to things that cause pain like arthritis, sprain etc. If your mucsles are weak they won't be able to "support" the joints and cartilidges as efficiently. Dad used to have aches and pains before ALS which did not change much after ALS.

The shoulder that hurts is the one I carry my daughter with- but it just feels so bad and sometimes it is hard to drive. The pain is radiating down to my hand and fingers.

I get the same thing. And numbness in hands and feet. The Doctors verified that I have atrophy in both hands and feet, but nobody seems to know what causes the pain and numbness. I will say rest helps, but that is hard to do with babies to take care of.

I wonder if I should go back to another dr?! Cindy- have you been diagnosed yet? How do you know what atrophy is? Sorry of these are dumb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back