Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
Ar
City
Mtn. Home
Does anyone have a portable bpap, if so were did you get it from and who paid for it. They are telling us they don't have them

Our ALS Association had one in their lending closet - but they had lent it out just the day before we inquired about it :(

To make Dad's car rides more comfortable, I bought a power inverter at the hardware store. We took his full sized one with him in the car.

We have one provided but we are I the UK. It is called Nippy3 and battery lasts about 3-4 hours. Good for getting out. D

Sharlene I have one of those converters but what about going to the doctor what do you do.
Danijela maybe I can find something on the internet thanks for the info

I had no idea they made a portable BiPAP?!

I was fortunate that a former CALS gave me a BiPAP backup battery that is the same brand as my BiPAP AVAPS and works perfectly with it. It's really heavy, but it's in a case with a strap so it can hang on the back of a wheelchair... I'm assuming the BiPAP itself could sit on a vent shelf? The battery lasts about 14 hours. It operates on a car charger type connection, so if you are in the car, you can just plug it into the cigarette lighter instead and save the battery for when you are out and about in the chair. I had looked at purchasing one myself, but they are about $600! So what I'm wondering is... what is the cost of a portable BiPAP? Is that cheaper, or better to just go for this kind of battery backup?

I was hoping medicare would pay for it

They will. Get your doctor to prescribe a Trilogy.

I agree on the Trilogy if you can get Medicare to cover it. It is no problem getting the unit covered, but I'm just wondering if you have already had Medicare pay for a bipap they may balk at it. It has built in internal batteries and you can go for around 6 hours I think without the need for any other equipment. Plus it is a good unit that you can use as a ventilator, either invasive or non-invasive.

The Bipap I have now is not very old but they should only give us those if they're the best

Medicare wouldn't pay for a portable one for my Dad since they already paid for the 'regular' one.

We just took his bipap with us right into the dr's office and plugged it in there.

Medicare wouldn't pay for a portable one for my Dad since they already paid for the 'regular' one.

We just took his bipap with us right into the dr's office and plugged it in there.

Maybe since my is being rented
maybe they would. They let me trade my regular bipap for a st bipap which is a lot better. Why don't they give us the best we don't know any differences we are dummies going into this

Very frustrating, I know. I hope they they'll help you, Caldona.

Medicare pays both for my husband's bi-pap (sleep) and for his Trilogy (daytime). Medicare also pays for the replacement tubes and headgears for both devices--every 3 months. We are very fortunate to have Medicare stepping up for ALS patients. The best places to get immediate help to obtain these devices is to become affiliated with an ALS Clinic. They know the ropes. Don't try to figure out the system on your own!

VL

I will check into this Monday thanks for all the response

Well, Medicare will not pay for a portable Bipap for me so today we called the Medical Supply places here a total of 2 one told us they could order a back up battery for my bipap cost $485 plus taxes and shipping the lady wasn't sure just how much the total will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back