Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Chamblee
This is short description on how to change and adult diaper. Firstly every one fears feces from the time they are knee high. You are told how nasty it is even before you understand what it is. You have to put these preconceived fears on the shelf while you do the necessary job of cleaning up your PALS. Remember, it is an intimate act, and try to do it with dignity. No jokes, or complaining about the stink or etc. If anything,reassure the PALS that everything is ok and that you two are going to do a great job.
Have your supplies ready before you start. I get baby wipes by the case and keep them out. Others use cloths and soapy water buckets. Whatever it takes. Also you need a plastic bag open and ready to cast waste into. Of course get the diaper and underpad out and ready. If you want get a bottle of perineal spray because it cuts odor and breaks up the fats in the feces making it easier to remove from skin. Of course a box of rubber gloves.
Make sure that the room is warm, because your PALS is going to be bare from the waist down.
Put your rubber gloves on and undo the dirty diaper. For a woman PALS push all fecal matter down toward the bottom where the diaper crotch is. This is a good time to use the perineal wash, If you do not clean in the folds of the vagina, you could cause a UTI and that you do not want to do. You may stuff the baby wipes into the crotch and just leave them there. Once that area is clean, roll the diaper up from the thighs to the crotch and leave it rolled. Turn the patient over on their side and pull the dirty rolled up
wad through and carefully peel back the butt portion of the diaper trying to keep any
fecal matter contained in it. You may they use some of the flaps of the diaper or other clean parts as a wipe--it's all going in the trash anyway. Fold the soiled diaper in on itself and discard.
Use wipes to clean the rectal crack and buttock and thighs. You are now almost finished.
Apply barrier cream or medicated cream or powder to buttock after checking for sore places.
If you have soiled underpad, pull it out from under the patient and roll it up and throw it away.
Get a clean liner and push it with your hand under the patient all along its edge.
Get a clean diaper and place it on the buttock of the PALS and pull the crotch part through between their legs. It may take a few times, but you will get it right soon enough. Push the edge of the diaper under the patient until it looks right from the backside. Roll patient over and now pull wadded underpad out . Pull side of diaper out also. Fasten diaper with tapes (usually on diaper) Ho Ray! You are through.

You, my friend, are a wonderful man! Thank you for posting this. :)

Terrific tutorial! thank you for the detail.

You are a very gentle soul. Your wife is blessed to have you care for her with such kindness, love and dignity.
Linda

Not so sure about stuffing baby wipes into the crotch and leaving them there. Otherwise very good

Not so sure about stuffing baby wipes into the crotch and leaving them there. Otherwise very good
I wondered about that too. Perhaps he means the crotch of the diaper.

Of course I mean the crotch of the diaper. Sorry for the vagueness.

Not sure why that didnt occur to me. Silly

Dear hangingon1,
My mom has recently become bed bound, and up 'til now we have used the pull-up type Depends. We also have the diapers with the tape on the sides. Your instructions for changing the diaper type are excellent, and sound much easier to change than the ones we are using. We also have the perineal spray. Thanks so much, I was a little worried about how I would manage after she could no longer go to the toilet. Changing pull-ups is NOT easy in the bed.

Laura

I too started with pull ups and it wore me out. Open diaper are the best and easiest to put on. They are the kind hospice at home uses and they should know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back