08/2006
Country
BE
State
Belgium
City
Brussels
Hey mates,

I don't know if throwing up mucus is an ALS symptom but every time I start brushing
my teeth I vomit mucus and sometimes while I am taking a shower or right after eating
or drinking. I have also noticed lots of gurgling noises hours after eating which is related
I guess to some digestive problems.
I don't know if all these symptoms are related to ALS because I have been having them
for years now.
Just recently and after being diagnosed I have noticed more saliva secretion

mucus

Omar,
I have so much trouble brushing my teeth. Actually, I have never had a cavity, toothache, nothing until I developed this over active gag reflex. Now, I start gagging the moment I start brushing. I talked with my neuro yesterday at clinic and he recommended an over the counter quiafinesin which is in the Robitussen family to help break up some of the mucus. My speech therapist also recommended drinking alot of water (which I already do). I don't know if this is a symptom of ALS. I do agree that it is difficult to brush your teeth and I sometimes get choked at night when I breathe in some of the mucus. YUCK!:-D

Exactly Tabney,
I have now a kind of PHOBIA from brushing my teeth, sometimes I try to concentrate on breathing from my nose while brushing but it doesn't work all the time, and sometime I vomit once I put the brush in; As for drinking water I have always been drinking alot of water.
My family Dr. said that I have allergie and I have been using flixotide but it didn't help. After my diagnosed I went to an allergy Dr. and he said that I don't have any allergy and that it could be a secretion of mucus because of digestive problems and he recommended me to visit a stomach Dr. Grrrrrrrrrrrr I give up so I guess I will live with it. ;)

Omar

Try using a childs toothbrush it is smaller.Pat

Hey Pat I don't think it has to do with the size of the brush since i am even using the electronic brush which has a very small rounded head. it has more to do with breathing I guess or the throat itself is very allergetic to chemicals, really don't know

Even before diagnosed. I would gag all the time while brushing. It's worse now even using the electric brush and trying different pastes, gels etc. Someone once suggested trying baking soda to brush with but I never tried it.
AL.

Yes Al I have always had that problem since I was 20 years old and I have tried different pastes and brushes as well. But I guess it has to do with a sensitive throat we have. I even can't stand opening my mouth for a long time when the dentist is working. I also can't stand at all the wooden stick while the doctor checks my throat.

Hi Omar-A dentist once told me that that kind of strong gag reflux sometimes runs in families. Sometimes I even have to look away when I see the football player on TV put in his mouth guard or I get a "sympathy gag" reflux. My dentist makes me raise my feet and take deep breaths and his assistant asks me all sorts of questions to keep me occupied just so they can clean my teeth. Any distraction works, it seems. Not sure about your other questions, though. Seems like if you had a strong gag reflux you'd have had it all your life...I wonder why it is cropping up now? Cindy

I am glad you posted this omar,,,,,
After i eat,,alot of times i will gag,,then throw up,,problem is i only throw up clear liquid.
I will vomit so hard that it brings tears to my eyes. Y is it only liquid?

PaulaB

Hey Paula,

I also have it sometimes after eating and even drinking, I throw up so so hard till I get a red a face and wet eyes; And what is weird is That I never throw up the food but only the clear mucus; I even feel the mucus in my throat coming up all the way from my stomach, so I was thinking that It could be related to some digestive problems.

Omar

Omar
thanks for the reply.
anyone else ever have this happen? if so whats your opinion?

Paulab

I was told that PAPAYA helps with mucas.. Mom was having a problem away back..and we were told PAPAYA.. helps break it up.. So if ya eat it once a day.. it may help break it up..and help make it easier to brush your teeth..
Mike
alslogo.jpg

Hi Country Couple. Thanks for the tip. By the way, nice logo for the fundraiser. Somebody ahs a way with graphics! (Hope we don't hijack this thread. :) )

hey Mike,

Thanks for your advice I will give it a try ;)

Omar

Strange. I have also noticed a tendency to choke when I am brushing my teeth. For me, it does not appear to be the gag reflex as much as paste or water going down my throat and then needing to clear my throat. Also, after I eat I notice a build up of phlegm and I find myself clearing my throat more often. I need to clear my throat in the morning when I wake up. This implies that while I sleep my throat muscles are not handling the mucus build up very well. More worries and more signs that ALS is a likely diagnosis for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back