Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
West Yorkshire
City
Leeds
Does anyone know if Carpal Tunnel can cause pain and numbness that extends into the forearm and possibly into the upper arm?

My doctor says not, but some web sites say Yes, that pain can sometimes extend up the arm as far the shoulder. I woke up yesterday am with my hand at right angles to my arm (I slept with hand under my head) and hand was completely paralysed until I "shook" it out.

Using computer keyboard causes stiffness in wrist and pain going into forearm.

As far as I am aware the pain does not extend up the arm, but only affects the hand, leaving the pinky and half the ring finger unaffected. I have had one hand surgically released and the other hand goes numb every night.

I also have my ulnar nerve that causes numbness at night also. It does affect the forearm and inner side of ring finger/ pinky.

Maybe you have a problem with both nerves?

There are disorders that make a person very susceptible to pressure palsies. Weight loss can make pressure palsies worse in some cases and better in others.

One common symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome is that people find shaking the hand often relieves these symptoms. Pain may extend up the arm, and the pain from carpal tunnel syndrome is often worst at night. Often patients find they are awakened at night, and have to shake out their hand to get the tingling in their fingers to resolve. Other activities including driving and typing can aggravate symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
How is the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome made?
In diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome, your doctor will look for changes in sensation and for weakness in the muscles controlled by the median nerve. Several simple tests can be done to elicit carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms to diagnose the disorder. Two common tests are called Tinel's and Phalen's Test.
•Tinel's Sign
Tinel's test is performed by tapping the median nerve along its course in the wrist. A positive test is found when this causes worsening of the tingling in the fingers when the nerve is tapped.

•Phalen's Sign
Phalen's test is done by pushing the back of your hands together for one minute. This compresses the carpal tunnel and is also positive when it causes the same symptoms you have been experiencing with your carpal tunnel syndrome.

here is some info lordjohn.
the median nerve extends down the arm,if it is inflamed you maybe able to feel this.
just down a little bit from the back of your elbow have a feel.
i have a disabled arm and get inflamation there sometimes,it can feel a little swollen and tender to touch...........pain can radiate down the side of the arm into the wrist and sometimes little finger and the next two.

thanks olly, does feel tender to touch, elicited an electric shock feeling in fact. Typing becoming impossible because wrist (and where CT actually is) is painful and heavy. I expect six hours of compuying is taking its toll. Will have a watch of Wimbledon now!
All best wishes John

If you prop your elbows on a solid object while you are using your computer, you might also be impinging the nerve where it passes through the elbow. I've had that problem in the past with certain types and shapes of padding on the arms of office chairs, for example, since I was prone to lean on one side or the other while reading between bursts of typing.

I do that all the time trfogey. In fact I think I can generate additional pins and needles simply by moving my arm from upright to horizontal several times whilst resting elbow on chair arm rest.

It does sound like there is a possibility of both ulnar and carpal tunneling. One thing to remember with nerve pain is it can actually appear just about anywhere. It is possible to have ulnar nerve pain and it appear in the shoulder. But, there is a rule of thumb that ulnar tunneling=forearm carpal=hand. The nerve conduction and emg will pinpoint exactly where the problem is. Also, the ulnar nerve actually controls from inside the second finger to the outside of the pinky finger. I know this all too well, I had an injury at work back in 98 that caused ulnar tunneling 100% blockage left arm. My pinky and ring fingers are hopelessy inward on the palm of my hand.....atrophied completely useless even after 2 surgeries. Also ulnar tunneling in my right arm from overuse (couldn't use my left arm for 3 years) no surgeries, but useless as well. Now the good thing, LordJohn, mine is the exception in most cases there is a relatevly simple surgery for both ulnar and carpal tunneling. I wish you well and good luck.

oops the outside of the second finger to the outside of the pinky. Was really tired from my folks visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back