09/2010
Country
US
State
KY
City
Lexington
Hi all,

I have a leg brace for my left leg but hardly wear it because my leg is so weak I can't get it into a shoe. Anyone have any ideas?

Pete
Lexington, KY

Check the yellow pages. Some stores will let you buy 2 different size shoes. Get a bigger one for the AFO. Velcro runners work well.

AL.

We keep the AFO's in the shoes. It makes it easier for KeV to put them on.

Another idea is to first, elevate your legs--all night is best. Then, pull the toe of the shoe down toward the floor and also turn the shoe toward the other foot as you pull it over the foot it belongs to.

Al's advice about getting a bigger shoe is really good--mine is for the interim. And when I wore AFOs, I also kept them inside the shoe.

Take the insole out of the shoe. Makes the shoe a little larger inside, and you can't feel the padding anyway with the AFO on. I also keep the AFO in the shoe.

-Tom

Hey Pete
I wear AFOs on both feet .The brand is Truelife the style is the Matrix Max, they fit under my insole in all my shoes and give me alot of support.
The shoes I wear them with the most is a tennis shoe ,New Balance Roll Bar.
Jeff

They look pretty good to me.

AL.

Everyones suggestions here are good. I can only comment on what my Mom did while she was still wearing the AFOs.
She bought some Size 13 velcro sneakers for her Size 7.5 feet - I think from Wal-Mart - and removed the insole. (She just refused to pay the $100 or so that they wanted to charge for shoes to wear with the AFOs.) She kept the AFOs separate for awhile, but then found it easier to keep them in the sneakers. Elevating her legs before putting them on always made a big difference, too.
Good luck!

Thanks for the link for the slipper/shoes, I just ordered a pair. They look more comfy than my shoes and much easier to get on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back