Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
We are having money deducted from our SSDI for Medicare Part B. Isn't that prescriptions? We don't need it. We still have private insurance. How do I get rid of it? I'm having no luck reaching the SS office, and I hate to waste "sitters" for a trip there.

Have you checked out the SS website? They have an awful lot of links on there to adjust "stuff"

Hi missy,
Part B is for doctors hospitals etc,Part D is for prescriptions .I have part A & B & now that I need prescriptions that are expensive I had to get help from the senior citizens service in IL.They pay my mo.premium but I have to pay 15.00 a mo for the rest of my life for not taking Part D when offered.Check with SS because if you have that coverage with your ins.I think there are different rules.Hope this helps.
Sharon

Just to add... My husband still has his insurance through his "former" employer (he's on LTD so still kind of considered an employee....). Medicare is his primary now because of SSDI - the employer's insurance is now secondary.

We were warned about NOT signing up for Medicare Part D (prescriptions) because it would cause him to lose our private/employer insurance. Don't ask me how that would work/happen - the threat was enough for us since it's paying for his hospice room/board now.

Missy, Part B is doctors visits. We have used it for things that are not covered by the VA. But if you have your private insurance, you probably do not need Part B.

I guess I should keep Part A and B, just in case. Part D, I can drop. We don't need the prescription coverage.

you have to sign up for medicare part D (prescriptions) they do not automatically deduct it from your check. You also have the option of paying for it by deducting it from your check or paying each month with payment coupons. I think the only thing they are deducting from your check right now is medicare part B which is about 115.00 a month, hope this helps, margaret

Lori,

Can't the VA file medicare? They file under our regular insurance plan even though it would be covered if we didn't have private insurance. I kept private because it offsets some of the costs for the VA. My thought is that, since we have it available at such a reasonable cost, why not keep the money in the VA system for those that don't have the resource. I was thinking that it would work the same way with medicare.

I do not know, all I know is we use Medicare for visits outside the VA, such as Pain clinic, and ALS clinic visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back