Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Well we just finished changing my balloon type peg tube. It was the second time that I replaced it and the first time at home with just Beth and me doing it. It went really well and was so easy, just deflate the balloon on the old tube, pull it out, stick the new one in, fill the balloon and adjust the stopper.

They recommend doing the change every three months and it is a good thing that Beth knows how to do it because my fingers are going and in three months time someone else will probably be doing it for me.

I was just wondering if peg tubes had to be changed every so often, so you answered that question for me. Do you do this right from the start and how long does it take to heal once you have it put in? Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hi Phyllis and welcome to the forum. The original peg tube is usually one with a rubber mushroom on the inside and that one usually is good for up to 18 months and has to be replaced by a doctor. Once they yank (literally!) that one out they put in what I have now, the balloon type which is an easy home replacement.

Barry, congratulations on your tube job. LOL, it's good you have a mature wife who can be efficient! That mushroom yank gives me the heebie jeebies to think about. I'm glad the system improves.

The yank was easy for me, it did not hurt and only took a few minutes to do it and replace with the balloon type. We change my balloon type every 6 to 9 months.

Barry, do you think it really needed to be changed?

Well it was getting kinda yucky but the real reason I changed it was that the tab was ripping off of the plug and I was worried that it would come off completely making it impossible to open.

I also noticed that my formula went in much faster into the new tube and as they don't cost me anything it was a good idea to change it. But you are right Joel, other than the stopper problem it could have lasted for a while.

Joel, I am assuming the first yank was performed by your doctor/surgeon. Was it your GP or the original surgeon?

Barry, the tabs on my plug are gone. Wanda has no problems opening it so far. I have had it since Sept 09.

Hi Glen, it was the original doctor. GP's don't know how to do it and seem to be afraid of it. Been there, done that - didn't work.

Barry, it is great to change them more often since you don't have to pay for them. I have to pay for mine so we change them less frequently.

It was the original surgeon for me too, in fact even surgeons at another hospital declined to do it referring me back to the original doctor. After he did the yank and had placed the new balloon type in he sent me for abdominal and chest Xrays to be sure of a good placement.

Glen, if you have the original tube the ends are replaceable so if the cap is broken you can just pop off the old end and stick in a new one. The caps that are shaped like a plug are easy to open but the ones on the balloon type tube are shaped like a ball and just about anyone (and especially me) would need pliers to get it open if the tab was ripped off.

Last edited:
Ummmm , OK , will have to call the surgeon and her recepionist that rides a broom.

Where did you buy your replacements?

Glen

If you are talking about the ends, I got mine from the ALS Clinic for free.

I purchase my replacement tubes off of eBay. They come from the US so the broker fees are a killer. I have not been able to find them in Canada. Yet.

I get all my supplies from the Alberta government home nutrition warehouse. Surely there is some US medical supply website that will sell to us Canucks?

There doesn't seem to be any that are interested in selling to us Canadians. I have trouble every time I need more tubes, thankfully that is only about once every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back