Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
wisconsin
City
eau claire
We've recently build an outdoor ramp using treated lumber with crosswise 2X6s for the floor of the ramp. We live in northern Wisconsin, so there will be frost as well as snow and ice. Does anyone know what we might do to the floor of the ramp to prevent the wheelchair from slipping during adverse conditions? I have a power chair.

We plan to use a snowblower when needed, but anticipate that the ramp will be slippery!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

What I would do is put some sand in the paint and apply it to the ramp. It works well and is inexpensive.

You might try products like to find anti-slip tape and run two tracks of 6" the width of your wheels down the ramp. The problem with treated lumber is it needs several months to dry out before you can paint, stain or stick anything to it. Remember if you use paint you will always have to use paint, its not a matter of if it peels but when it peels. Hope this helps.

A proper deck paint does not peal. If you are worried about that the tape will not stick either.

also you can salt it. i dont know what it will do to the lumber, but we have the anti-slip tape and also salt our ramp. We're in WI too.

Also some steel mesh, or critter fence. The stuff with small squares like you see on live animal traps. You could tack it down.

A proper deck paint does not peal. If you are worried about that the tape will not stick either.
Joel, if you know of a brand of deck paint that won't peel, please tell us. I have to redo my deck every year.

John

I have used the General Paint brand extensively and have never had a problem.

Thanks Joel. Unfortunately I don't that General is sold in Newfoundland. Too bad, paints that survive your rainy climate should do the same here. Actually, winter and snow seems the hardest on mine.

Somehow I don't think Joel gets the same amount of snow and bitter cold that you do John. Paint doesn't last long on a deck here in Ont. either.

AL

When I was using it I lived where we got 12 feet of snow and -40 temperatures, then the summers were very hot.

I definitely prefer stain for any outdoor applications but you can't put sand in it for traction applications.

You're probably right Al. Actually, Newfoundland does get an enormous amount of snow and my deck is frequently under four feet of it for extended periods. Our winters are also long so maybe the snow sitting out there and melting and re-freezing doesn't help either. One myth needs correction though. Our winters are considerably milder than yours and start later but once underway, they are interminable.

We've recently build an outdoor ramp using treated lumber with crosswise 2X6s for the floor of the ramp. We live in northern Wisconsin, so there will be frost as well as snow and ice. Does anyone know what we might do to the floor of the ramp to prevent the wheelchair from slipping during adverse conditions? I have a power chair.

We plan to use a snowblower when needed, but anticipate that the ramp will be slippery!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I read somewhere that one can use sand grit strips and additives to paint; also the use of 36" wide, white asphalt, rolled roofing.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I appreciate the input.

Randy

I used the sand with Dad's ramp and it worked great. But my neighbor has a very steep ramp and they put roofing tiles down. They work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back