Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ks
City
wichita
First of all, thank you to all of those who contribute to this forum and help educate those of us who read and are concerned we may have some symptoms.

On to my story...

I'm a 28 year old male. Over the past two months I began developing muscle weakness and also, the best way I can describe it, is a buzzing sensation in my neck, back, legs and arms (I know, what area of the body is left).

The muscle weakness began in my left hand. I noticed it when I tried to perform fine movements and my hand would shake (I believe this is called an essential tremor?). Making a fist was difficult.

During the same time I developed the buzzing sensation which started in my neck. There was no visible twitches and my wife cant feel the buzzing, but the sensation is like a cell phone set on vibrate except in my neck, which over the course of about two months spread to my legs and is now on my arms and back. I'd say the vibrations frequency feel to be between 20-50 hz.

Finally, the muscle weakness has spread to other parts of my body. I feel like an old man when I move, especially when standing up from a seated position. It feels like my legs will give out on me occasionally as I am not used to the weakness.

Also of note; these symptoms began within a week of starting Simvastatin. I also have developed tremors in my jaw, occasional slurred speech, and developing tremors in my other hand now (right hand).

I have discontinued the statin about two weeks ago but my symptoms have not improved.

My question is: is two months too quick for my symptoms to be ALS?

I met with a neurologist about a week ago. I have also had difficulty thinking and speaking occasionally and he seemed to focus on that and none of the issues I described above. I had to beg my family doctor for a referral and I'm not sure how I'm going to get a referral out of him for a second opinion.

Hell YES. You dont get ALS in two weeks.

Have you been to Dr. Google yet ? I am thinking yes.

My guess (cuz im not a doctor, but I do have ALS) is between a pinched nerve and anxiety, probably both.

Go see a massage therapist and mention the buzzing in the back of your neck.

Above all else , relax.

Glen

Hell YES. You dont get ALS in two weeks.

Have you been to Dr. Google yet ? I am thinking yes.

My guess (cuz im not a doctor, but I do have ALS) is between a pinched nerve and anxiety, probably both.

Go see a massage therapist and mention the buzzing in the back of your neck.

Above all else , relax.

Glen

Thanks for the reply Glen. I probably wasn't very clear in my post but the muscle weakness has developed over a period of two months rather than two weeks.

I appreciate a response from anyone, especially someone with experience such as you.

Would you say two months is too fast for weakness to spread from a localized area to other parts of the body?

Buzzing is not a typical symptom of ALS and the disease is a lot more insidious with it's onset. In other words, the progression is slower than 2 weeks to notice all of the symptoms in the various locations you are experiencing. But hey, I'm no doc either.

Best thing to do is have your GP check you out and see what he thinks.

In the meantime, take Glen's advice and get a massage and relax.

2 Months seem awfully fast for me (for it to be ALS anyway).

Last edited:
Ok, two votes for a massage. I think that is enough to convince my wife to pony up the dough. :)

I suspect you are right in thinking of your statin meds since everything started about that time. I looked it up and muscle weakness and tremors are documented side effects. I don't know about this buzzing, I've never heard of that, but it's probably not a coincidence. It's curious that you are still having the effects after 2 weeks off the meds, but you might need to give it more time.

Other side effects were dizziness, memory loss, psychic disturbances. Sounds pretty nasty but again not too different from what you have been going through. I would definitely suggest going back to the GP, something is clearly wrong and he should work with you to find out what it is.

The only thing I'd add, don't assume you are smarter than the doctors and you know what it is (ALS) while they are in the dark. They know a lot more about this kind of thing than you do. Give them time to do their referrals and tests, but be persistent about getting some help, don't let them just blow you off. Good luck, I hope you get some answers.

Ok, two votes for a massage. I think that is enough to convince my wife to pony up the dough. :)

Dont mention getting massages at the peeler bars, that is not the place to go. You want a real massage therapist. And YES, you will hurt the next day.

Glen

Talk to your primary Doctor. if he suspects a neurological disease he can recommend/get appointment for you at MDA. MDA will give you a Neurological examine and be able to DX if you do have a neurological Disease. I hate to say it but I have had Pals friends that DX quickly over a couple months. Slight symptoms were there before in some of them but not paid attention to , sometimes it seems like we progresses over night when really it had been happening longer time. I am sad to day i have lost too many Pals friends that had ALS a year or less. One friend had one weak arm and 11 months later she earned her wings. Don't worry but to make yourself feel better do talk with your Dr. and See what he thinks about you going to MDA for examine.
God Luck,

There are at least 2 of us that got hit from Simvastatin, but neither of us have ALS. It seems that if you are susceptible, statins can take you down quickly. When I got wiped out, I got a lot of info from the "spacedoc" site (Google it if you have not gone there). Funny, all the health nut people who said strange things like "dont take statins", "dont use sunscreen", "take CoQ10" turned out to be mostly right!

Me - after starting Simvastatin, muscle stillness and tightness spread throughout body in 2 weeks followed by weakness, twitching, etc. I thought it was ALS (something was starting beforehand) that went into overdrive, but now I am thinking mitochondrial.

Keane - his adult-onset Pompe disease went into overdrive when he switched to Simvastatin (according to one of his posts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back