Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
Hi, all ... I started on Zoloft a week ago for emotional lability. I don't have it very bad, but have had a couple embarrassing crying episodes (like at Kinko's when someone helped me with a FedEx problem, and I was so grateful I burst into tears thanking them!) Have not (yet) had any outbursts of laughter.

The side effects of the Zoloft are really troublesome. Bad tremors ... shaking hands ... shaking all over ... and absolutely no motivation or ambition at all. I just lie in bed all day completely apathetic. I take a couple naps a day, and make it to the computer for a while, then back to bed. It's like I'm completely flat-lined emotionally and psychologically. Haven't even been able to force myself to take a shower in three days! I can't make myself do anything.

Until I started Zoloft, I was in a really good state, emotionally and energy-wise, and getting a lot of things done. Now, I feel like a zombie.

Mentally, I'm really foggy, too. I'll go to the kitchen and just stand there staring into space for 5 or 10 minutes. Today, my feet and hands have become very puffy, which worries me, as I have heart disease, and if I start retaining fluids, I'm in big doo-doo.

My husband has been out of a medication he needs for two days, and I couldn't rouse myself to go to the drug store to get it for him. (He doesn't drive any more.) I finally forced myself to get it for him today, but I can't believe that I actually let him go two days without it just because I couldn't get motivated to get in the car and drive a few blocks.

I'm supposed to increase the Zoloft dosage every two weeks until I'm up to 4 pills a day, and I'm really worried about what a greater dose will do.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Is this a phase you go through until it kicks in, or is this what it's supposed to do? I don't want to live like this. This is not me at all.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
BethU

Hi Beth,
You stated that before you started Zoloft you had energy & good state of mind.Why then are you on Zoloft? It is for depression & it sounds to me like it is making you very depressed.Just my opinion I don't take any of them because of how they make me feel .LIKE I'M NOT MY SELF & I don't like the feeling.Talk to your doc before you continue to up that dosage.God Bless.
Sharon

Beth,

Did you call your dr and let him know the side effects you are having. I don't think those are the normal side effects. I have tried 4 different antidepressants and couldn't tolorate any of them. I think I would rather cry
than feel that way.

Do you have the pamplet that came with it. If not you can go to webmd.com and under drugs you can look up all the info about the drug including side effects and it will tell you the common ones and the more severe
ones that you should contact your dr.

Please take care of yourself

Beth

I have never taken Zoloft, but 12 years ago I took Prozac for depression, which I guess is similar (both are SSRI meds). I didn't have the shaking hands or the mental fog you describe, but the positive effects of the medication did not kick in for about a month after I started taking it. I don't remember having any particularly negative side-effects, but I also didn't see any advantage to the med for a month. After it kicked in, I had more energy than I had before.

The symptoms you are reporting don't seem to be listed as the common side-effects of this medication, so I guess it could be a coincidence. But if you are convinced that the medication is causing the problems you are having, you need to ask yourself whether it is worth it. The emotional lability is a real problem but even if the med completely makes it go away, it may not be worth the problems you are having.

Anyway, good luck with it.

John

Thank you all for your feedback! You're exactly right, Sharon, I don't feel at all like myself ... and I don't like it! Crystal, I will call the doctor this week and report these effects, and will also check out that link. Thanks. (And I'm going to stop taking it until I get the doctor's advice.)

John, that is encouraging about it taking a month for these kinds of meds to start working. If the doctor advises me to continue, I'll have a little more patience.

This forum is a blessing.
BethU

Hi Beth,

The symptoms you describe on Zoloft can happen with any of the SSRIs. They may or may not go away with time. Another medication in this class might be more tolerable. There are certainly other classes of antidepressants. All antidepressants take a minimum of three weeks to work although you may notice something after two weeks. They can also take 4-6 weeks to take effect and the dose may need to be adjusted. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or primary care for medication treatment? There are other classes of antidepressants to choose from. If in fact you are depressed it will be worth pursuing this.

Good luck,

Mark

Hi Beth,
I have been taking Zoloft (Sertraline HCL) for several months now with no side effects. It does what it should for me; no crying at movies and I can talk about emotional things without freezing up but I do "tear up" when I should. Maybe its a matter of dosage?

That is what I was thinking. I wonder if it would help to cut the dose in half? As long as you are not experimenting with more dosages I cannot see the harm, but then I am no doctor.

PDaddy and Cindy ... I had been thinking of cutting it in half. Maybe I will try that. I think because of my age, meds tend to linger longer in my body, and build up, and they may be more potent than in younger people.

Mark, actually I haven't been depressed, just subject to weepy spells when I'm stressed. But it's good to know there are other options.

The neuro said there is a clinical trial going on now for something for lability that has fewer side effects, which she wanted me to try, but it turned out to be contra-indicated with heart disease. (It's something to do with quinine.)

Appreciate the help!
BethU

Hi Beth,

I was having awful crying spells and would wake up crying. I did not want to talk. (anyone who knows me, knows if i am not talking or joking then i am not well). They put me on one, i dont remeber the name, and i felt worse! then switched to lexapro, that did it! it helped me sooo much! I am myself and i do still cry when i should. It took abouy 2 weeks and I just felt like myself again. I know a few other folks (not als pts) that have really good luck with this one.

just my expierence with these meds, I never thought I would need these ever!

take care,

april

Thanks, April ...

I did some research online on the side effects, etc., and it turns out that Zoloft "interacts" with three other meds I take, so that could have been intensifying or altering the effect. My neuro had my complete list of meds, so I just assumed she checked them all out before prescribing it.

One of my side effects ... my swollen left foot and ankle ... is in the category of "call your doctor right away if you have any swelling in the feet or lower legs." I didn't take any Zoloft yesterday, and by last night was feeling human again. I'm back to normal today, except very tired. And today the foot swelling is almost gone ... one puffy spot left about the size of a silver dollar, so I probably won't bother call her about it till I see her in August.

I hope she will try something else. But next time, I'm going to research all the contra-indications and interactions and side effects BEFORE I start swallowing new pills!

(Seems to me this should be the easiest kind of computer program to write for doctors: include all the meds on the market -- OTC and prescriptions -- and let the doctor enter what you're taking and what they're thinking of prescribing, and bring up possible interactions and warnings. I had a HUGE problem in January when a neuro diagnosed me with MG and prescribed Mestinon ... and it is absolutely contra-indicated if you take beta-blockers, which I do. Both lower your b/p a lot. I was so dizzy for a couple days, I couldn't stand up without falling over, & couldn't walk more than a few feet. Got the answer from people on an online MG forum, who said, "OMG, you musn't take both those at the same time!")

BethU

I also had side effects with Zoloft. Now I am using Cymbalta and I have not noticed any problems. I just kind of feel in a mellow mood all day. Not sleepy, or anything else. Just seems to help me cope a little.

Everyone is different, but maybe this could benefit you if you want to ask your Doctor about it?

Martini's help too! :rolleyes:

My personal favorite is a strawberry margarita!
Keep the faith,
brenda

Beth,

Do you get all your meds filled at the same drug store. If you do they should have caught the bad interaction thing with the mix of the meds. I'm happy to here you are feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back