Diagnosis
02/2005
Country
US
State
RI
City
warren
In a prior thread, I had asked if anybody had experience with the Zinger Wheelchair (zinger chair.com). While in Singapore, my husband (PLS for 11 yrs, walker dependent, with bulbar symptoms and slight upper extremity involvement) was able to try one. We ended up purchasing it. It, like any equipment has it's pro's and Cons. First off for the cons, it is not available for purchase in the US. The company is trying to jump through FDA hoops.... It also requires upper body for steering and has a learning curve to get good with the steering. Our model did not come with a parking brake and we are waiting for one to be sent from Singapore. I have talked with the parent company and they have stated, that the new models will have this as standard equipment. It is difficult to tilt up onto a curb, though not I'mpossible. For major inclines, you need to have a running speed that is not always available. Horn is a joke. Reverse is marginal. Not good in sand or rough terrain. It will go on grass.
Now for the Pro's: It truly folds like a lawn chair and fits into the trunk of even a small car. Total weight,with the battery is 50lbs and one can drag it by the handle. The battery weighs 4 lbs. At the airport, he zinged to the plane gate, I folded it up and removed the battery and it was placed in the hold and was waiting for him on disembarking. Battery is easy to remove and can charge in or out of the chair. It is speedy and fun to use. You notice the person before the chair, It has a tight turning radius and fits under most tables. We are working on comfort of the seat so that he can sit in a restaurant without transferring. His discomfort is due to a hip fx last year from a fall, not his PLS. I would be happy to answer any questions if anybody is interested. In Singapore we paid 1400$ after converting SD. The charge in US if it is approved is projected to be 2200. It is also available in England. I am not sure what the Singapore Company would charge to ship.....
My overall impressions positive and it made Michael much more able to enjoy our trip to Singapore, Cambodia, and Western Australia.

It looks great. The major downside I see is that it requires both hands/arms to use. I like how compact and light it looks.

Yes it does require both arms. Another option in the same category of chair is: Power Wheelchair - Lightweight & Folding - EZ Lite Cruiser. Here control is with a small joystick. The folding is like a baby stroller and the weight is slightly greater. The cost is hight $2800 dollars but it is available in the US. From the video it looks a bit more curb and uneven terrain friendly.

I didn't see a head/neck rest available. Didn't look like it reclines or has power legs either. That said, for a "normal" disability it looks great!

I agree, for a PALS in early stages with only the legs affected this would be a super item and so easy to transport.

But for most PALS it won't work at all. It is still a great gadget to be aware of as many PALS with slow progression could use it for some time, and for leg onset PLS definitely.

I did feel it looked pretty unstable unless on very flat surfaces.

I'm glad you got to try it successfully while away!

Tillie,
You describe where my husband is....slow progression. We are hoping his upper extremities last as long as possible. The bulbar symptoms are progressing more prominently. No reclining features etc. As we get more experience with it is more stabile than we originally thought. Clearly not for most of the forum members. Thanks for the feedback.
Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back