Not open for further replies.

rosales20

Country
US
State
CA
City
Whittier
This could be a long story, but I will make it short. I have a 28 yr. old brother who was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS. Devasting, as you already know with your experience. Within two years he has lost nearly all of his mobility and is confined to a wheelchair. I asked him if he was tested for familial als and he stated that he was not sure. However, he did say that his doctor (Dr. Engels from USC-I believe) stated that his ALS was most likely caused by toxins, not genetics.

However, I too am sensing some symptoms at 30 years. These are my symptorms: muscle twitching, increased saliva flow, buring at the bottom of my feet (once at night I woke up sweating), and I think that I feel weaker. Obviously, I am scared. I could not imagine not being able to see my daughter graduate from college or get married. I get little twitches on my neck, eye area, calf, and sides of calves. My big and most consistant twitching comes from just below my tricep and my left quad. It has only been about two weeks. Are my twitches progressing even too fast for ALS?

I still workout with my athletes ( I teach and coach football at South El Motne high school). I am in good shape and still lift weights. My family thinks that my brother got ALS from all of the supplements that we took growing up. We both played college football, basically we have the exact same history.

I am going to go seek therapy because I now realize that I am depressed. My wife thinks that is stress and anxiety. However, these twitches happen throughout the day, even when I am happy. Last night I drank quite a lot and I still noticed the twitches.

I hope that you can provide some answers and/or guidance. Thank you.

PS-What specific test should I have done. I went through this last year and I had a muscle test performed in which they shocked me, it hurt and it came out negative.

Hey bro,

I can feel your pain and frustration in terms of the strange symptoms we are experiencing. However, I would never be able to understand the pain you are going through for your brother. I am deeply sorry for your brother. I will keep your brother and your family in my prayers.

Well, I am also experiencing generalized fascs. It all started four months with my eyelid twitching. Ever since then, it has progressed throughout all my body. I have noticed the fascs. in my abdominal, biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings, forearms and fingers. It is extremely annoying and difficult to cope with. I am not sure what these symptoms are, but I pray they go away soon. I am 3rd year medical student currently studying for my first step of the boards so hopefully it is stress related. Fortunately, I have no clinical weakness or any other signs related to upper or lower motor neurons disease.

My recommendations is to just stay calm and talk to people who you are closest to. My advice is to stay away from the internet because it will make things worse. Also, trying to make appointments to see your doc. for fasciculations will most likely not help because many docs have little experience dealing with ALS symptoms. If you would like help, I think seeing a psychiatrist would help more. Specifically, I would recommend a someone who specializes in Cognitive behavior therapy. Personal message me if you have other concerns. I am also in the same boat in terms of experiencing these symtpoms. Some times I think that I am losing my breath, but doing breathing exercises helps me to realize that it is just in my head.

Overall, think positively. You know what this experience has made me stronger and appreciate life to a whole different level. I think we should look at it in a positive way. As a former athelete myself, I would recommend taking it to a different level. You know what I am mean bro.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back