Not open for further replies.

South23

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello to everyone who may come across this post. I’ll do my best to keep it short and to the point. Back in February, I woke up with generalized fatigue that I didn’t think much of. About 3 days later my left eye started twitching. I googled that symptom (bad idea, I know) and sent myself into a health anxiety spiral. The twitching exploded all over my body and seemed to be fueled by my high stress levels. I visited my PCP who ran basic blood work and chalked it up to stress. Everything came back normal and I began taking Zoloft for anxiety.

Fast forward to April and I began having what I can only assume are tremors in every joint in my body. My muscles will shake rhythmically when I pick my arm, leg, hand, foot, even my neck up and attempt to slowly lower it. It’s like I just shake with eccentric control. My left hand seems a little less coordinated than my right but I’m still able to use it effectively. No muscle failure that I’m aware of. I just feel a symmetrical body wide overall weakness and I ache everyday when I come home from work.

I returned back to my PCP last week to explain my concerns and the progression of these odd neurological symptoms and he sent for more in depth bloodwork to check for thyroid issues and RA. All have since come back normal and I passed a basic “neuro screen” in his office. My strength is good but the tremors make me feel weak. It’s like I have no endurance and fatigue out. My reflexes are normal. Weight has stayed the same.

I guess what I’m asking is if any of this sounds like an early onset ALS case? Is it possible to be perfectly fine one day and wake up the next and not be? Because I feel that’s what has happened. I have read the stickies and initially they gave me comfort but with passing time, I feel I’m only getting worse and can’t shake the feeling that something is seriously wrong. My left eye has never stopped twitching and has gotten more intense as well. I would like to mention that I am a 27 year old female and I’m aware my age statistically points away from this disease.

My PCP did send a referral for an EMG in hopes that I get some peace of mind. I should get that completed within the next 3-4 weeks. I just wanted to reach out and get anyones perspective while I’m in this waiting limbo. The last 6 months have been hard because I know my body and I know something is not right. Thank you all for your time, as I know it is precious. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that is affected by this terrible disease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a good read here is my best suggestion.

I couldn't actually read your post fully as it is just text that all runs together, so I know you didn't read this post as it asks you to use paragraphs.

You don't display anything that would suggest ALS, so hopefully your doctors will help you sort out what is going on.

It does not sound anything like ALS onset, no. I would expect the EMG to be fully reassuring in that regard. Try not to prejudge the case, e.g. "odd neurological symptoms" begs the question of something being wrong neurologically. We have no evidence of that at this point. If nothing neurological is found through exams and testing, I would keep in contact with your PCP, who may have other referrals if/as other features present themselves.

When considering nonspecific symptoms such as fatigue and not feeling yourself, just a reminder that ~60% of Covid transmission is "asymptomatic," so testing yourself periodically, especially before gathering with others, is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back