Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
uk
State
england
City
london
Hi there i have posted a few times before, i have had symptoms for about 2 years 3 emgs later i am fine just bfs, anyway i just wanted 2 share this with you see if anyone can make light of it as i am so scared, , i have an 18month old son, and about 3 night ago i was looking in his mouth while he was asleep (he has had some problems with his teeth & was checking there progress) when i notice the left side of his tounge was twitching only a very very small area if it and the rest of his tounge seemed very still and normal, but the area was twtiching constantly maybe thousands of times a minute, i rechecked during the night and for the last couple of nights and it is still the same constant,
my gp isnt worried and says maybe a trapped nerve, i am skeptical obv and am very worried it is somthing else, it is like all the fear i used 2 have i now have again and greater for my son , he dosent seem to have any other symptoms at all & is progressing nicely. he has acually been a bit moody the last few days and seemed in pain in his mouth but i assumed it was his teeth, does anyone acually think he might have this dreaded deiase :-(

Any help or words of support would be great :)

Hi there,

The way us moms worry.......

I really dont think he has als. That is not to say he doesnt have something esle, but not als. My 9month old twitches all the time while sleeping at night. I never saw her mouth. Have you checked his mouth while awake? It could be soo many things that mean nothing. He is teething and growing, etc. IF he displays no other symptoms, wich he would and your ped would see it. My ped has cought things with my daughter that I would never have thought! One of her legs only has one fat fold instead of 2 and they sent my for a ultrasound to see if her hip was ok.And it was. They cought that she has urinary regurge. My point is that youir ped see's hundreds of baby's and if there was a neuro problem going on would, you or they would maybe notice.

With that being said, I would watch that tongue like hawk. CHeck it while awake not just sleeping. Let your ped know, and ask her to check for nuero symptoms and then just let it be. I really think his mouth is irritated with teething or biting etc.

good luck,

ps. good news that you are fine with bfs!
april

mary ....may i ask what symptoms you had, that made you think you had als?

I know it does no good to tell Mothers not to worry. Just my 2 cents, I think it's just growing pains, symptoms. My 4 children and 15 grandchildren use to jump and jerk while they slept all the imte. Two of them sleep with their eyes open.
Use to scare the heck out of me. :-D:-D:-D:-D

Thank you for your replys, i havd calfs twitching 24/7 and arches & twitching elsewhere on and off (even my tounge) i have never heard of als in such a young child i am just so worried i wish i hadent seen it :-(

I am telling you not to worry. I am a over concerned mom and I would tell you if you needed to worry!
With my first son I freaked out when he had a buger in his nose as newborn, I thought he may not be able to breathe and called my mom.....thats a new mom.

Even 3rd time around, I was very concerned about Graces tongue. She was always darting in and out of her mouth in a strange way that none of my other 2 did. I asked my ped about this non stop! I thought for sure there was something wrong with her tongue or was she handicap, it looked weird! The docter always check it for me and said that every other thing was fine and she showed NO other signs that would go with downs or anything else. Guess what? she stopped doing it and is a very active 9 month old that keeps her tongue in her mouth!

Please try not to worry!

april
(mom to 3, feels like 6)

yeh you sound like you have health anxiety like me....

i have twitching in my elbow area 24/7 and now my right calf...worried...hopefully alll is well

i have a 2 year old myself who has asthma...and i constantly worry about her....but listen to your doc....worrying gets you know where.

and i dont know if your a believer, but i try to focus and tell myself that God is in control...and wont give me anything I cant handle.

Thank you i know all you mums (and dads) know how im feeling its just so scary having kids isnt it.. maybe it is a trapped nerve or irritated nerve fibre i just wish it would stop it defo a proper twitch not just a movment, should i ask a nero about it or just leave it a while & c if it stops? thank you all so much i cant believe im now asking these questions about my own son :-( xx

I would leave it. Ask at your next vist. Has he had a vaccination in the past week or so?
If something is wrong, it will be undeniable.

april

My newest grandson's tongue twitches also. (I didn't tell his Mom or anybody else.)

I am thinking this is one of those things that is normal, that we never noticed before but do now since we pay more attention now. Also, My Mom, who is 85, has a tongue that twitches and is all wrinkled. But she is strong otherwise. Got a grip like a gorillia.

Maybe our tongues twitch when we are very new on this earth or very old. Even the in-betweeners probably don't need to worry unless there are other symptoms as well. Just a thought...

Maryroseuk,

I can understand your concern. When our middle child (The one in my profile picture) was a few months old he developed a vascular anomaly about two inches in diameter on his chest. Our pediatrician told us not to worry about it, but it was hard to let it go. He was right, and it faded with age, but it caused me quite a bit of unrest until it did.

Keep in mind that these little tykes nervous systems are still forming. The fact that the little one is having issues with some teeth probably doesn't help. At 18 months your child will be able to let you know about symptoms that trouble them, and I would let it go for the time being.

Best wishes,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back