you know what bugs me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are awesome. I don't know why this makes me feel better, but it does.

I honestly think being able to vent, joke, rage, and just be honest is good for all of us.

My housemate (whom I was in a romantic relationship with from 1990-1999) went to Denver on Tuesday to help his deceased sister's best friend. Stephanie had been in a car accident and got many bones broken and could not take care of herself. She is slowly recovering but several friends, Fred included, volunteered one week to help her.

The first day he called and said Denver was his dream and it was wonderful having meaningful conversations with Steph. He said he had been awakened. Day 2, not so enthusiastic because she wouldn't let him drink or get high 😂 Each day he has called and it gets a little worse. Tonight I debated whether to answer the phone because he's always accusing me of being negative. I answered and he said, "I can't wait to come home. You are so less demanding. She has me cooking three F'ing meals a day and won't let me use the microwave because it's dangerous. I miss being home." I listened quietly and then said, "you're doing such a good thing for a friend." She's into a lot of way out there new age BS. I'm talking about crazy stuff. Apparently, she was in her bedroom (he has to sleep on the couch) and he was talking to one of her friends who dropped some food off. She came out in her motorized chair and screamed at them for having no respect. Oh dear. I told him doing for others, even when they're nasty, will send some good karma back from the universe. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

OK so since we are ranting about mothers.... mine calls me and the first thing she says is "So how are you doing?" It's not what she asks, it's how she asks it, as if I am only 2 days away from death. I mean if things were terrible she would know.

Now realize that I only just retired last week, but she drove me to my physical therapy about three weeks ago and says as we are driving while I was putting on lipstick..."so you can still put on your own lipstick?...that's so wonderful!"

When I can't wipe my own butt, you'll be one of the first to know!!!!!

🤬

It is very healthy to vent this stuff here because even when you have other friends or family that don't fit that stupid category, you can't tell these stories to them, so you end up holding them in. Out is far better, and wow there is a world of stupid out there to contend with!

Chris went to a PT, against both our better judgement, but hey in the early weeks after diagnosis you don't realise how many things you have to figure for yourself and say no to.
He was bulbar onset, but very quickly followed hand and arm weakness.
The PT said we are going to build your arm muscles up - show me how many push ups you can do.
He actually managed to get his torso off the floor, just for a second or two, then the arms gave out and he nearly broke his nose face planting.
He didn't go back to that PT.

Ah yes, dealing with stupid people. Try looking at it this way:

Let's say, for arguments sake, that the average IQ for humans is 100. That means that half of the people you meet every day have a 2 digit IQ, and not all of them will start with 9.

So when I run into people acting stupidly, I just think to myself "Oh, they're a 2 digiter."

Somehow it seems to take the edge off.

People are so judgmental!! My husband and I stopped off to have a beer with a friend. Walking out I got the looks like I was drunk. Felt like I should have had a sign around my neck saying not drunk have ALS and this is how I walk!

Lisa, too bad you couldn't have leaned over their table and puked :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday, a bag BOY (he must have been 17 or so) in our local grocery store called me young lady. I have no idea why but it annoyed me. Then he persisted trying to make conversation with me that was entirely inappropriate. "What do you have planned today?" "How's your day going, so far?" All this time the cashier was chattering away with the customer behind me. Then I saw it. He packed organic blueberries with heavy cans of beans AND MEAT. I politely corrected him and then wondered if he was mentally challenged. Nope. He said he was taking AP classes and getting ready to start college at Daytona State (where I taught for over 25 years.) So there's intellectual intelligence, emotional intelligence, and social intelligence. He lacked the last two. My conclusion: He qualifies for President :censored:. I still want to see his transcript.

I hear you Kim, I find my patience with people these days is so limited.

Although it's not funny- my husband and I still laugh about a former coworker asking him what's that contraption on your leg??? He was referring to his AFO.....the guy felt terrible once he found out about his dx.

How about referring to elderly and disabled as “dear”, “sweetheart”,etc. We probably wouldn’t refer to a middle aged male we didn’t know by those terms. I see lots of elderly people referred to as young lady or young man. It’s probably to make them feel better but it can also be condescending. I know that in the medical profession (and I suspect in law enforcement too), men who are homeless, unkempt, and/ or addicts are often referred to as “gentlemen”. e.g. “We just admitted a 45 y.o. Gentleman who is a resident of the homeless camp under the freeway.”

I keep reminding myself "Life is good "

I was watching a House rerun last night. There was a guy who had a brain disorder that caused him to say everything he thought. OMG. I'd be locked up.

entirely inappropriate. "What do you have planned today?" "How's your day going, so far?"
I feel like that when DIHALSers say "have a great weekend everyone" after they have typed thousands of words about a twitch...

I was watching a House rerun last night. There was a guy who had a brain disorder that caused him to say everything he thought. OMG. I'd be locked up.
Everything? Oh really we would all be in trouble !

When a new friend from work tells you about her cousin whose husband has als and asks you why you are turning white-greenish. You explain. She goes “ how do you manage “. You think “ I don’t! I I don’t “. And you answer: “ developing split personalities “ and then wonder if you really have a mental health issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back