Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
City
New London
When people ask me if I'm cold and want a "blankie," or if I'm hungry and want "din din."

Or ask someone else a question they should be asking you. It used to happen sometimes with my sister. They would ask me “ does she...”. I would say I dunno. Ask her.

Also people would shout. Just because you have lost speech does not mean you are suddenly deaf.

And the general treating you like you are mentally challenged.

Or ask someone else a question they should be asking you. It used to happen sometimes with my sister. They would ask me “ does she...”. I would say I dunno. Ask her.

Also people would shout. Just because you have lost speech does not mean you are suddenly deaf.

And the general treating you like you are mentally challenged.
Right!?! All of those too. And people asking who is managing my finances, as if I can't..

Then there are those who misunderstand the word progressing concerning ALS.

Question; "How is he/she/you doing?'

"Well... he's/she's/me is progressing, slowly for now."

Reply; "Well I'm glad he/she/you are getting better."

Let it go or explain.

Some people who see me in a wheelchair will say, “Can I help you, dear?”. This is said in the tone of voice they might use for a 95 year old woman, not that the 95 year old woman appreciates it any more than I do. Disabled is somehow equated with helpless and thus qualifies one for child status in our society.

Note that if an elderly person is physically more active than they “should be”, they’re referred to as “spunky”. However, I’m not sure “spunky” would ever be applied to ALS.

And my slowed slurred speech must mean I’m mentally challenged, right?

I haven’t yet gotten the “How’s she doing?”, asked of my spouse in my presence, but I’m sure it’s coming.

People seem impressed with how I drive the wheelchair. Maybe they think that just because I’m physically disabled otherwise that I’ve lost everything?

Yes! People always comment about driving the chair. It's sure easier than a lawn mower. I get a kick when people think they can push or lift it, or try to protect me and my 300 pound beast from traffic.

I have had more than one medical provider ask how are "we" doing with bowels, feedings, breathing, etc.

On the bright side, no more mammograms, colonoscopies, pap smears...

(Sorry gentlemen....but here it comes)

I thought I had finally begun menopause last fall...and then today happened! 😩 🤬

Ten years ago I was going through a late mid life crisis... I was thinking about
getting another Harley motorcycle... thank goodness that passed. :)

Now it's a new Buick with so many buttons and a media screen in the center
console I still haven't figured out to use half of it.

A Buick ???

You know Al, that now makes you officially old-part of the blue hairs and geezers.;)

My husband cut out an article for me how to deal with ignorance. I keep it with me at all times

Attachments

• 20190606_205032.jpg
    20190606_205032.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 395
I'm with Amy! Thanks Lisa. I loved that line - Yes we are all dying of something, how about you trade what you're dying from with what I'm dying from. Sorry that cracked me up because I know my Chris would have loved that one so much!

How about: "Oh, and what are you dying of, stupidity?"

Ken

When I sprained my good ankle way back in 2016 I had to use one of those driving carts at Lowe's. I was doing a major remodel of the new condo and ready to spend some serious money. The clerk ignored me and waited on two other people behind me. It was as though I was invisible. Needless to say they didn't get my business.

I can't tell you how many times relatives and people I've met tell me they think I'm going to BEAT IT. My SIL actually said she thought I was so smart that I'D FIND A CURE :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:. Ken, you can't fix stupid. I can excuse ignorance but I really have no patience for relentless stupidity.

Kim you are so right. I can't tell you how many times I've been told "your tough I know you can beat it" 😕 I just shake my head to the stupidity. They obviously don't understand the meaning of "no cure"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back