Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
With a little help you can still do some things you thought would be impossible. I never thought I'd be able to go boating again let alone go sailing. With an offer from friend Suzanne from ALS Ont. and her husband Bob to go sailing on their 31 ft boat and a promise that they could get my wheelchair bound body on and off the boat we went to Barrie Sat. With the help of my Hoyer lift sling some extra rope and a crane they use to do work on sail masts and Jim the helpful marina guy we did it. Lee and I had a great time. Propped up against the cabin and a few pillows I was able to sit and enjoy lunch and beverages and a day of sailing. I didn't think it was possible. I guess you have to think outside the box. Suzanne wanted to take me sailing so she figured out a way. If you want to look at some pictures of the day click on my user name AL and click on the album. If you click the pic it will enlarge.

Attachments

• Sailing 1.jpg
    Sailing 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 226
Wow Al!

it looks and sounds like you had a fantastic day out,i am so pleased for you.
i looked at all the photo,s,but i did cringe a bit at the one with you in the hoist.
was it as uncomfortable as it looks?
your friend next to you seems to have a big smile on his face lol.
the scenery looks so beautifull.
i hope they can take you out sailing again before winter comes.
thankyou for sharing your day out and photo,s,it has made my day.
take good care.
caroline:-D

It was a bit tight for my breathing but they worked quickly so the good far exceeded the bad.

AL.

Al I loved seeing the photos! Beautiful weather you had too. Yours is a reassuring post to be sure. :) .... actually, when we're done down at the clinic in Baltimore next week, we're going to drive down to Virginia afterward, and have plans to camp and canoe down the Shenandoah river. Don has been asking me if I'm sure I'm up to it, and after seeing what you've accomplished, there's no way I can sissy out now! We've even decided to take the Mini rather than the truck. Not sure really how all of the camping paraphernalia is going to fit, but its so nice driving with the top down :cool:... The tent is already in the "boot" (British car, you know) ... now for everything else..... A couple of years ago I bought a french press coffee maker that is part of a little solid fuel jet boil system. (it can boil a cup of water in under a minute) All in all it cost me over 90$, therefore, I've still got to get some more use out of it to make it cost effective LOL

Next week, I'll be "Granola Mama Rose" ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

great! I gotto say you guys look awsome on the boat!

Al,

There's nothing like being on the water! Happy for you and your time on it!

Zaphoon

The only thing better than being on a boat (other than sex) is being in the air. My brother has been in contact with an outfit called Freedom Flight. They have a lift and equipment to put me in a glider seat. I thought my flying days were over. Maybe not.

AL.

That is truly inspiring ... thanks for sharing the photos.

BethU

You go guy! ALS is not going to stop you! Have a ball!

Patty;)

I love your spirit Al! So glad you had a beautiful day. Must have been nice to be away from the computer putting out fires. Thanks for all you do for this forum. Fondly, KR

The only thing better than being on a boat (other than sex) is being in the air. My brother has been in contact with an outfit called Freedom Flight. They have a lift and equipment to put me in a glider seat. I thought my flying days were over. Maybe not.

AL.

There was a long article about the Freedom Flight operation in the paper, I'm trying to remember which paper.... perhaps they go to different cities (?)

Just love it, Al! Thanks for sharing! You deserve it. :D

Al,

Great pictures!

The water looks absolutely beautiful and clear-keep on having fun !
Keep the faith,
brenda

Oh AL- I hope you get to go gliding, too!

Al
Where was you lifejacket.........Let me know when you go gliding..........I know if anyone could you could:mrgreen::mrgreen:
netty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back