Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Gilbert
We just finished a fun, but very tiring, vacation. I always wanted to take my wife to Yosemite, I wish it didn't take ALS to get us there, but it did, finally. My sister and her family joined us, our kids and grandkids for a terrific trip. It can be a challenge to do what each of 17 people want to do, but we made it work.

We all did the Ice Bucket Challenge in Yosemite Valley with Yosemite Fall in the background. Karen and I stopped at Hoover Dam on the way. We saw a magic show in Las Vegas (Chris Angel, I would pass, low energy) and went to the lowest point in the US in Death Valley (and saw the highest point in the contiguous US also) . I was surprised by how beautiful I found Death Valley and the mountains between Las Vegas and Yosemite, all so different and pretty.

Yosemite was more beautiful than I remembered it from the last time I was there in the 1990's. So glad we were able to share it with our family. We had a great time in Yosemite in spite of my power chair stopping working while we were walking in the Tuolumne Grove of giant redwoods (Mariposa closed the week before we got there!). That was quite an ordeal since it was a mile uphill to get out of the park and I was very near the bottom. We had a couple of great park rangers who helped us (Dan & Julie). Our oldest son and Julie were even able to scare our family as they drove the ranger truck up to get our van. He pretended to be arrested and she lit up her lights. We always have some kind of problem on our vacation, but we always are able to laugh at it.

Karen & I continued our trip to Monterey so we could drive the Pacific Coast Highway and see the Monterey Aquarium. The aquarium was incredible, a must see if you are near there.

The PCH was very nice, although a little slow for my liking, but we stopped for some very nice scenery. We stopped in Morro Bay and had some of the best seafood at a taco shop (Taco Temple). When we went to the marina to watch the sunset we saw some of the same kinds of jellyfish that we saw at the Monterey Aquarium. Pretty neat.

Then we were able to visit some of Karen's childhood friends which was a lot of fun. Of course, California was in a drought (still is) but we brought them rain from tropical Arizona. I was able to finish my visit introducing Karen to one if the most influential people in my life, Rosey Grier.

The rain on the way home was incredible. I asked Karen to video as I was driving and we noticed later that it was around the same time and location as where the I-10 bridge was washed out. It was intense. She posted it on Facebook and I am tagged if you want to see how hard it was raining. So thankful we made it back safely.

To top it all off, I drove the whole way. I figured my left leg is not working but the driving leg is fine so I might as well do it while I can. Once I feel even the slightest limits on my right leg or foot I will no longer drive and I am very aware of how I feel, so I am being very safe.

Great trip and lots of fun, with a good bit of sadness knowing what the trip really represents - a memory trip.

Attachments

• 1 Yos.jpg
    1 Yos.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 3 Yos.jpg
    3 Yos.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 523
  • 6 Yos.jpg
    6 Yos.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 938
  • 7 Yos.jpg
    7 Yos.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 444
  • 8 Yos.jpg
    8 Yos.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 469
  • 9 Yos.jpg
    9 Yos.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 10 Yos.jpg
    10 Yos.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 12 Yos.jpg
    12 Yos.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 14 Yos.jpg
    14 Yos.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 15 Yos.jpg
    15 Yos.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 346
Thanks for sharing. What great pictures! It sounds like a fabulous time. And Monterey is one of my most favorite places on earth.

What great pictures and memories you made with your family! Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing with us!

Fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful pictures and what a story Doug!

This is definitely a great story of hope - you are living, and I'm so glad you did something you both always wanted. What great rangers, they get a Tillie gold star!

Hey Doug, what great pics!
Creating memories is what we do all day everyday, but what beautiful memories. I particularly love the photo of all the family...a lot of joy there.
I absolutely LOVE the photo of your kids with the sign...that has real special meaning...
The trip sounds awesome, it makes my day when I read these stories.
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks for sharing your wonderful journey with us. We all realize how precious life is...live it fully!
Audrey

>Thanks for sharing. What great pictures! It sounds like a fabulous time.

Ditto that!

I used to play softball in Morro Bay and still have a lot of friends that live there. We lived in Cambria for 10 years.

If any of you are in the area do the following;

if you like wine you have to stop by Harmony Cellars - the owners Chuck and Kim are friends of ours and also Moonstone Cellars in Cambria that our friends Todd and Kendra own. They are BOTH excellent boutique wineries and well worth the stop.

Also, if you like oysters Windows On The Water in Morro Bay have a $0.75 oyster special in the bar on Tuesday night. They have them on the half shell, Rockefeller or fried with a Lime, Kiwi & Tomatillo sauce.

Great photos! It sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the great photos and trip description! What a beautiful family you had all lined up at Grand Canyon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back