Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawning all the time, especially when chilled has been an issue for me for the past year. So far no speech or swallowing issues, though.

BIG uncontrollable yawns. One after the other, all day long. I've seriously been afraid of doing damage to my jaw.

I've been on Neudexta since diagnosis (Jun) and, while it really helps prevent my breaking down in tears over nothing, it's had no effect on the yawning. I have wondered if it actually adds to the intensity of the yawning.

Hmmm, that's interesting the cold worsens it. The cramp in my jaw an interesting experience I hope to never repeat! Such a strange symptom! ALS is so rude!

I have yawning as well. I yawn very hard with popping and cracking in my jaw. It feels like something is going to break. I also have cramping in the throat area. At times I can't speak for a few minutes after the cramping.

Jaw clonus was also one of Chris's VERY early symptoms.

Even though it was summer, the minute a breeze would touch him his jaw would chatter violently. This was before his speech was even slurring. He didn't even mention it to me at the time as it would just happen randomly and he would shrug it off as another strange thing that happens but means nothing.

At our first clinic visit when he was diagnosed, the neurologist kept randomly calling all sorts of people into the room and using his little reflex hammer would demonstrate his clonus that he could reproduce with a simple tap ...

Just reading this made me yawn five times. Now my jaw hurts. Lol

Patrick

Imagine if someone took pictures of our exaggerated yawns! When I first told my primary Dr. I had a yawning problem he lifted his eyebrow at me. I figured I was crazy! Lol, I never knew what they looked for when they tap your jaw.

Randy has bad spouts of yawning does anyone have trouble with biting on their gums while eating or talking,and dose anyone have any suggestions on what to do about it if anything can be done.Thanks for all replies.

Andy- YES! I seem to constantly bite the inside of my mouth. I wish I knew something to help...I'd use it. This HURTS.

yup, again early symptoms before real slurring started was biting the insides of his mouth and grinding his teeth in his sleep.

He always had a mouth full of ulcers from the biting, and then trouble swallowing water started intermittently, and biting inside his mouth whilst eating, then slurring.

As we went through ENT and Dentist looking for the problem Chris always stated that the inside of his mouth was swollen but no one else could see it.

I believe that what was happening was that as the muscles were failing they were become 'limp' inside his mouth causing him to bite the insides of his mouth and for it to feel different which he was interpreting as being swollen.

We tried a custom made mouth guard, but this wasn't until after diagnosis and by now he had many swallowing issues and copious saliva. The moment he put the guard in his mouth the saliva would start pouring and would fill the top of the guard and he would panic, so we never managed to use it.

Another very early symptom was that suddenly he could not whistle. Chris was someone who often whistled whilst doing stuff ...

Interesting. I've also been grinding my teeth. Not just in my sleep, but especially noticeable while waking.

And like Chris, my mouth feels different. I can still whistle but I can't really laugh anymore. Not that no don't find things funny, but my laugh is different and doesn't feel right...those muscles aren't working the same as they used to.

I find the changes interesting. Depressing, but interesting to notice.

For those whom Baclofen is not helping, maybe try tizanidine. It is often used first line.

This goes back to PEG/breathing...eating/drinking involves lots of muscles including jaw. So if the clinic is just using a swallow test as a proxy for eating ability, that's completely inadequate. The only test there is to see what muscles are doing what and how much/little they work -- P/CALS observation/experience. And then modify the diet as you go, unless/until you can't.

I'm scared that my mouth is going to stuck in the wide open position, I have seen people at the clinic with their mouth hanging open.

Janie

hugs Janie, ALS sucks big time.

FWIW Chris was always able to close his mouth himself :)

Jaw clonus was also one of Chris's VERY early symptoms.

Even though it was summer, the minute a breeze would touch him his jaw would chatter violently. This was before his speech was even slurring. He didn't even mention it to me at the time as it would just happen randomly and he would shrug it off as another strange thing that happens but means nothing.

At our first clinic visit when he was diagnosed, the neurologist kept randomly calling all sorts of people into the room and using his little reflex hammer would demonstrate his clonus that he could reproduce with a simple tap ...

Tillie

I have jaw chatter going on now! And living in the artic Wisconsin, this otta be a fun winter!:shock:
My Doc does the same thing with me and my clonus in my jaw! He was amazed by it! Had people come in just to watch it! Lol. It's better now with baclofen, but still there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back