PALS
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Ravenswood
Hello,
Well - another day God has given us. After my husband was diagnosed with als, at that time we both agreed to take one day at time. He's been so tired lately. I think he's pushing himself too much, trying to convince himself he is still able to do anything and everything.

Anyways, my question today: he said that he's noticed that after he yawns, his mouth/face will start twitching. Is this a sign of the disease starting in the bulbar?

We are going for a second opinion to a doctor in Pennsylvania. After he received all of my husband's records, they called and said that the first thing he wanted was for my husband to have an emg consultation. Is that normal for a second opinion? We would've thought he'd wanted to see him first?

Again - thanks for your responses. It's like everyday I wake up to a new worry or concern.

I pray for all of you!

Patty

Hi Patty,
I get cramps and twitching around my jaw after I yawn quite a bit. Any muscle can be affected. (I've had cramps in places I didn't know had muscle!:mrgreen: )

As for bulbar, I don't know. I believe bulbar may be a tad different, but better to let the docs tell you.

Your 2nd opinion doc just wants the emg done before so he can meet your husband with more information at hand. That's a normal thing, my 2nd opinion(s) had me do the same.

Cheers!

thanks!

Mike,
Thanks for your response. It's nice to know you still have your humor while enduring this awful disease!
Nice to know about the reason for another emg.
Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
how long since you've been diagnosed? your symptoms?
Patty

Hi Patty. Anytime you go for a second third or a fifth opinion insist on a new set of emg and nerve conduction studies. Not much point in a doc just reading someone elses notes. You might as well have a cat look you over and call it a CAT Scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back