Diagnosis
1/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Lima
Has anyone had increased yawning with NMD? It seems my husbands yawns more than he used to. Just an observation. Thanks for any info. :confused:

Hi APC,
It is the same with my husband. Seems like the yawning started quite awhile prior to his DX. His symptom onset (limb onset) was about 2 & 1/2 years before his DX. Maybe it just goes along with the fatigue.

Linda

Yes, I have ALS and have noticed that I yawn a lot easier now than I have before. But I still have to be real relaxed or close to sleep. But never did do it near as much as now.

physical response

Yawning isa response that occurs when your lungs are trying to increase the amount of air in them - happens often when people get cold, or so relaxed that their breathing becomes shallow - the body's response is to trigger a yawn to help increase ait into the lungs - so for PALS it would seem that Yawning is a common occurrance if your brain knows you need more air and is rying to trigger an increase of air into the lungs....
My PALS friend has been yawning - but a bigger issue for him is the cramp that it instigates in his chin/ neck... I have had that happen - and man, is it painful!

Thanks everyone for the input. I thought maybe I was looking for changes that weren't really there! It seems since all of this started I'm looking for things to keep my eye on. I try not to say too much to my husband and make him paranoid. He always says that I'm not to worry. That's the nurse in me I guess. APC:neutral:

help

I joined the forum quite a few weeks ago and don't know how to use it. I have tried to tell you about us. I have tried to comment on some things others have said, and so on. I emailed the forum contact and got no response. I want to ask you a question right now, and have no way to go. If this gets out to any of you, I want you to know how much we benefit from reading your posts, but I can get no further. I usually am refused access. Thanks. M

Hello Marjorie- I have been traveling and away from my computer but AL and David have been on teh case for you. They made some changes to make it easier for new members to access all fo the forum. Hope this helps. Cindy

PS. If you click on your name you should be taken to an area that shows your user profile and lists other posts you've made. I read them all and am very happy that you decided to join us. thank you for your imput!

Last edited:
Hi Marjorie. You have 6 posts in various areas. Did you post more that have not appeared? Also who did you try to contact and by which email. If it was last week, we were having some problems with notifications.
AL.

Dear all,

Just stumbled upon this yawning discussion whilst browsing. We recently did a study where we found excessive yawning was a problem for quite a number of PALS, particularly those with a bulbar onset of disease.

Recently I heard something on the radio from an ENT surgeon that gave me an idea: if bulbar patients have spasticity in their pharynx, it may hold open their Eustachian tube and the yawning helps equalise the ear pressure. Just a thought, but it suggests that one could attempt to alter excessive yawning by either numbing the area reversibly or surgically....

Reference: Wicks P (2007) Excessive yawning is common in the bulbar-onset form of ALS, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, (Correspondence) May 24th 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi APC,
It is the same with my husband. Seems like the yawning started quite awhile prior to his DX. His symptom onset (limb onset) was about 2 & 1/2 years before his DX. Maybe it just goes along with the fatigue.

Linda

Yawning was one of the first symptoms my mum experienced a long time before she was diagnosed with PBP. The only way she could stop this happening was to chew on gum, but obviously that becane dangerous as the pbp progressed. At the time we didn't know why she was yawning so much but once diagnosed it became clear that it was because her lungs weren't functioning as efficiently as before.

Yawning

This thread was particularly interesting to me. I have a variant of PMA with gradual progression (although it seems rapid to me) over three years. I have definitely had an increase in yawning over that time frame. I have no trouble breathing that I'm aware of and can exercise using my legs because it is my arms and neck and shoulders that are affected. Thanks for the information.

Mark

The cramps respond well to 800 mg/day of Vitamin E. The tocopherol works better than the tocotrienol for cramps, but I take both anyway.

In addition to increased yawning, I also notice myself sighing deeply, more frequently.

Paul:

Is the study you cite of the 254 patients, a random sample of ALS patients? I wasn't certain by reading the description on the link you provided. If not, then your findings would seem to have reduced external validity, even when your chi-square is highly significant. Thanks for the info.

I have been yawning a lot especially when I get in the car and sitting at the computer. I know I'm not tired I sleep 9 to 10 hours a night.

Vicki:-D:-D

Vicki:

Do you get restful sleep? I know I sleep 6-7 hours, but it is often restless sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back