Diagnosis
07/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
Visalia
I am a CALS and my client needs a wrist support that is comfortable enough to sleep in and isn't totally immobilizing. She has some but they are so stiff that she cant grasp her extra diapers in the middle of the night. Any suggestions?

Is it to prevent joint contracture or for something else?
If it's for contracture due to milder spasticity and she still has some use of her hands, maybe compression wrist sleeves instead of full braces? I used neoprene wrist "wraps" with thumb support for a few years before moving on to a custom made completely immobilizing type of wrist support recently. There are some very comfortable wraps out there that are very supportive but still allow for some movement- but they can be hard to put on without help. I use compression sleeves under wrist and thumb braces now. I am thinking a hand physio or occupational therapist might have some ideas for you as well.

As said above, there are elastic wrist supports. As things progress, he may need a more rigid support. At that point I would see an Orthotist. He will eventually need orthoses that go to the end of the digits. Something that is custom will be way more comfortable.

Vincent

She might try the Mueller hg80 premium wrist braces. The metal splints can be removed to allow some hand and palm contraction, while still minimizing carpel tunnel pinching while sleeping. I found the thumb isolation made it difficult to grasp items so I stretched mine to place the pinky finger through the thum hole to keep the thumb free (the large size may work better).

[link removed -- available on Amazon]

An Occupational Therapist can help (covered by Medicare).

Last edited by a moderator:
A dorsal hand splint helps me. Supports the wrist but can still use fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back