Learn about ALS
Country
DE
State
SH
City
C
Hi all again,

I have been much better from my anxiety due twitching in the last days, so I forgot it completely and, even better, I did not feel almost any twitching for some days.

BUT! Today in the morning when I wake up, I was sleeping on my left side, over my left arm. I watched my hand and it was drop, like dead. I try to move it and I could not lift my wirst a millimeter, and I think I was also unable to move the fingers. After it I try to move the left wrist with my right hand, and I started feeling this sensation that you get with parasthesia (I think it is called numbness in english, sorry I do not know), and then I was able to move the fingers, hand and everything properly.

It only last about a minute, but I do not know if it was caused by the bad position that I had when sleeping, or it could be a sign of weakness.

I should also mention that I have sometimes this numbness in the small and fourth finger of my hands, usually the right one.

My partner has a wrist drop due to extreme atrophy of hand and forearm muscles. It does not get better, his hand is very thin. He did not develop it for many months despite of the atrophy, so what you describe seems to be just a result of a bad sleeping position.

If I sleep on my arm just the right way , it goes to sleep due to reduced blood flow. When I go to move , its like trying to move a sack of potatoes. When the blood does get back into the arm , it stings like pins and needles for a minute or two. It then take ten minutes or so to get the strength back.

Sound familiar ? Maybe you just slept on it wrong.

Glen

I have had the same problem with the fingers on my right hand for years. In my case it was nothing to do with ALS, it was a neck problem. If I put a rolled up towel (or a part of the pillow) under my neck when I slept on my side I did not have the problem. Usually (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) ALS does not involve numbness just the ability to move the muscle.

Thanks you all for the answers!

The numbness so far as I have read, has nothing or little to do with ALS, but well, at the begging I did not feel numbness, I was just unable to lift the wrist; the numbness came after few seconds, actually when I started being able to move the fingers and wrist.

I have ask a lot of people about this incident with my "drop wrist", and it looks to be normal, so I am starting getting calm again.

About the little and fourth finger, xD in my case I think it has to do with my elbow.

A secret, do not tell anybody xD.. I sleep on the floor. I like it a lot, but I will change it due the lot of problems that probably it is causing to me.

Many many thanks again :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back