Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Oakville
Hello all. Thank you for your patience and your support. Though it seems as though my scenario is one that does not require too much worry at this time. I have read many scenarios where ALS was missed at the stary of the process and as symptoms progressed, it became clear of the disease progression. My question is ...is it possible for denervation to be present in my right wrist. I have had a clean emg on the 1DI and the thenar and the forearm. This was 3 months ago. My wwrist seems smaller though I do have regular function in the hand and arm. The inside of my wrist twitches a few times a day, especially at night. I have brisk knees and some unsustained clonus. All else is normal. I do respect your time. I am very concerned about my health. Thank you for your insights.

To answer your question, yeah, it's possible to experience denervation in some regions of your body where the nerves that nourish those group of muscles are pinched or trapped.
Ever heard about Carpal Tunnel entrapment or Ulnar Nerve compression?

They both might have a bad outcome if left untreated but...by NO means they related to ALS/MND for that matter.
If I were you, I would have myself checked for any compressed nerve in the arm.

Good luck.

Carlos

personally, if you have no weakness (especially progressive weakness) I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond. There are times that I have been ridiculed for asking questions. I find this forum a great support network as I work through these worries. You are to be commended for fully supporting the intent of this section of the forum which asks the question "do I have als". I have been scared for a while and I thank you for responding. So....would the emg in my arm and hand picked up any issues in my wrist? Thanks again.

Hey Carlos,

In regards to the nerve entrapments.... (they are founded by NCV nerve conduction...) I know you are not a doctor but i'm curious about what you said about by "NO means they related to ALS/MND for that matter."

So lets say, a guy with no nerve entrapment issue is developing ALS started in arms/hands.. they will find only the denervation for example...

So Docs can diagnosed ALS because there is no other condition (nerve entrapment, other inmune diseases, etc)... So that's why ALS is kinda rare? because parts of the body denervates without reason? (maybe there are also people with nerve entrapments that unfortunately got ALS?)

It's scary but scientifically interesting...

I'm wondering where is Wright?.. if that's the name of the mr. that knows about ALS

@JTorm:

I will try to answer your particular question with what I know about it.
Next time, you can ask me on my Profile page and I'll gladly reply to you on your profile page, as long as I can and as long as I know the answer, of course just to avoid too many threads, or posting on the original poster's thread.

In ALS/MND the muscles denervate because of the Motor Neurons (specifically the LMN/Lower Motor Neurons in the spinal cord and brain stem) that control and nourish the voluntary muscles in your arms, legs, neck, chest, hips, etc. die off. This neuronal death (also known as denervation) is picked up during an EMG of the regions of your body that are experiencing such denervation.

Although, as the person suffering ALS starts losing bulk muscle mass in regions such as the arms, elbows and wrists they also lose "cushion" so to speak and their peripheral nerves such as Ulnar and Carpal are closer to the surface than they were before the patient losing muscle in these areas and therefore, it's more likely for these nerves to get pinched and/or trapped by pressing hard against surfaces such as a table, etc.

Hope this answered your question.

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back