Not open for further replies.

Jules45

Country
US
State
Texas
City
Dallas
Depending on which source you check regarding ALS/Progressive Bulbar symptoms, it says that cramps can proceed weakness.

My question is that if cramps are caused by ALS/PB would it show up on the EMG?

Thanks and God Bless.

Hi Jules, I had cramps for a year before I new something was wrong. I don't think the emg shows up cramps? As my legs are getting worse I am getting less cramps however I am now cramping badly around my upper middrift area. I am just hoping that this is not a sign that it has headed for my muscles around my lungs.:?: My recent lung test was good at 108% capacity!
Have you be dnx positively at this stage?

Doris, I started seeing a Neurolgist about 6 weeks ago. All my tests including EMG have been negative. The Neurologist(s) have told me they don't think I have ALS, however, I've had cramping in my hands along my palms near my pinky every time I write and some cramping in my forearms and arches.

I'm just worried that this is a very early signal that wouldn't show on an EMG and that I'm going to progressively get worse.

Some feedback I've seen is that people of have experienced cramps early on has been the Charley horse type. Either way it's scary.

Have you been diagnosed with ALS?

Cramping is a one of the potential early signs of UMN defficiences, and they may not be visible on EMG if they are not accompanied by LMN problems. But if cramping is your only symptom, it is much more likely to be caused by something else rather than ALS.

Yes I have be dnx positively with MND (ALS). Jules please do not worry yourself that you have this dreadful disease until you have it. There are so many other things that could cause cramping. My frustration with cramps was that no matter who I spoke to about them they just shrugged it off - eg. Drs, naturopath's etc. They are so common in people.
I will pray (in my own way) that you do not have ALS.

Doris, thanks for the response. You're right, I explained my cramping to the Neurologist and he did blow it off because everything else was normal.

Where did you have your cramping?

Mine were initially in the lower and upper legs and now are in the upper midrift area.

Thanks Doris. How did they confirm your diagnosis of PBP or ALS? Did they do a EMG? During the year of cramping did you go in for testing with a Neurologist who did the Babinski test and the Hoffman test to confirm you had an MND?

Thanks and God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back