Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
AL
City
Boaz
I'd Iike to start by saying thank you for allowing people who may not have been diagnosed with ALS to register here and ask questions. I know it probably won't be long before that is over because so many crazies posting... I hope I'm not one of them.

I just found this site through go ogling some of my symptoms. I have seen my GP and he has since referred me to a neurologist after several x-rays (all normal), and 2 MRIs. He seems to think it could be several things... 1.) Lyme disease 2.) MS 3.) ALS I could deal with it being something else totally but because of the things that have happened over the last 3 months he thinks it could be one of those or something that mimics their symptoms.

my symptoms include (starting with first onset to most recent)
- I will be doing something for example- laundry and can feel my back muscles weakening. I have to walk hunched over to make the pain bearable and even then it is terrible. I am have spasms in my back that the Dr can see with the naked eye. and my right should blade feels like it could explode with a pain that runs up my neck
- when the above mentioned occurs I can barely walk without feeling an electrical charge run up my leg and subsequently up my spine.
- my spine feels like it is constantly on fire.. like a small lighter is being run up and down my back
- my feet feel like they are in a constant state of sleep. I have a hard time sleeping because it feels like thousands of needles are jabbing into my feet. they also feel super heavy in the mornings but the pain regressed after I have been moving for a while
- sometimes it just feels like my legs have vanished
- I have fallen 3 or 4 times in the past month and while I am a klutz I don't think I am that clumsy.
- I can no longer hold my 23 lb daughter with my left arm. it's just too weak
-about a week ago I woke up with a very weird pain that is hard to describe. the best way to tell you all is that maybe it felt like I have left a hair tie around both wrists overnight and the inside of my arms from my elbow down were giving me an aching/like a muscle aching pain. this also led to not being able to pick things and not being able to hold the steering wheel when I tried to take my kids to school
- finally the most recent thing happened this weekend which felt like a major cramp in my lower left leg (causing my foot to feel like it was asleep). the cramping feeling lasted for 1.5 days and it was difficult to point my toes up to the ceiling but it finally subsided with no help from me.

the only other thing I can think of is that I have difficulty reaching my back to wash with my left arm. I can't reach over my left shoulder and scrub down as far as I used to. also as I type this and hold my phone my left hand is becoming cramped. (I've only been typing for about 5 minutes)

I have found several articles on the different suggestions my doctor has given me and I may be worrying over nothing but I don't see a lot of my symptoms on any of these forums. to me, my symptoms seems to more mimic MS. this is my thought especially because it seems like I have a few good days then a flare up type situation happens. still every time a new "flare" happens something new shows up.

are any of these symptoms synonymous with anyone else's symptoms. I'd just like to put my mind at ease.

prayers for everyone here. I hope they find a cure for this horrible disease soon.

ALS symptoms don't come and go. The ability just goes. It doesn't sound like that's what you're dealing with

So true on the ALS symptoms not coming and going. You get weak and stay weak. Yes please do stop with the google and keep us posted. Hearing those words from a Doctor made me so scared. Here is Hoping it ends much better for you.

Last edited:
I agree that ALS is not on the table but would have some electrolytes/iron/vitamin levels run and maybe try a vitamin B complex (not a large dose, just 100% of RDAs) as your symptoms could reflect nutritional deficiency. If you might be deficient based on your diet, hydration, fruit and pasta [fairly simple carbs] are all other possible approaches.

What did the MRIs show? When are you seeing the neuro?

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back