Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Carol Stream
First off let me start off by introducing myself and thanking you all for taking the time to reply, my name is Alex and I have been extremely worried about these tremors and muscle fasciculations that I have been having for quite a while now.

In my left hand I have had muscle movements in my thenar eminence as well as the hypothenar area. It happens pretty much 24/7 and my thumb index and middle finger twitch when they are bent. This has been going on for well over two years and up until recently I noticed my legs tremble when I walk down the stairs and even when standing on one foot. I freaked myself out the other day when I was playing with my daughter and noticed that my legs were shaking, I was on the floor and spent the whole day testing myself such as balancing and things of that sort. I did some leg extensions later that night to see if I can do them and my left leg was trembling uncontrollably which scared me even more. And that’s never happened before. I will attach a video for you all to see what it looked like when I was sitting on my couch. My legs don’t tremble at rest but when lifting them up they do.

I saw a neurologist back in March of last year and was given an EMG, (no denervation at the time) I was told that I have essential tremor and to revisit if things get worse. Not sure if I should reschedule again because my legs have a “tremor” now, and as far as I can tell I don’t have any clinical weakness, but I really want to know if it’s been over two years with my hand would I have lost the ability to do certain things by now such as button up a shirt? Because as mentioned earlier that has been going on for well over two years. I do have cramps in that hand, sometimes when making a fist. I also got shot and had a bruised artery when I was 17 (I’m 28 now) and wasn’t able to feel or move my left arm for Atleast three months. Could this be nerve damage? But if so how does that affect my legs? Is it anxiety? Can I really just have essential tremor that gets worse when I freak myself out? I also have a fast heart rate which I’m not sure if it’s related or not.

But anyway, any response would be deeply appreciated… also looks like I can’t attach any videos only pictures, but I will say that the next morning after I noticed the uncontrollable shaking of my legs, I tried doing leg extensions again in my home gym and it was fine, they do still however tremble when walking down the stairs and bending down and balancing on one foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
My legs were not discussed, would like to see what people think about this new occurrence.

Yes, however, past threads always help people to provide you the best feedback.

Yes tremor can affect legs and it is usual for tremor to get worse with stress/ anxiety as well as with fatigue and illness

your ability to do leg exercises says you are not shaking from weakness but from another cause. You should check back with the neurologist not because I think it is ALS but because your tremor is becoming more debilitating and may be treatable. Physical therapy might also help as they know tricks to help manage tremor

Diet, exercise, stress, and sleep can all bear on tremors -- and a fast heart rate often goes with that. Dehydration and getting the right electrolyte balance are good things to look at first. If that doesn't bear fruit, I would ask your PCP about a trial of a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker, perhaps after a 24-hour Holter to make sure your heart is OK. And, of course, you want to try to de-stress. It sounds like there is a lot going on, and you're living in fear, so even a little telehealth counseling couldn't hurt.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back