Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Hoschton
Sorry for the wall of text, thought i would be as thorough as possible.

I went into the ER a few days because the muscles in my legs were so weak i couldnt get up on my own. They did just about every test they could and found nothing but "Proximal muscle weakness" and "Metabolic Acidosis" <--- which they said was from a 2 day juice fast i had been on before i went to the ER. I saw a neurologist before they let me go and she thinks its a "under the medical radar Guillian barre syndrome" and a allergic reaction to some antibiotics such as cephalexin and zithromax i took for strep, which wasnt diagnosed by swab.. the doctor just told me it was strep. They didn't do a EMG test which has me worrying to death its something like pma/als/al/ or some other MND

I feel like my muscles are weightless and my legs and arms are pretty weak i get the occasional tingling throughout my arms/legs, my reflexes are fine and i have no numbness also in certain parts of my body - the front of my neck for example - i get a weird rush type of feeling its hard to describe, its almost like im falling for a split second and then muscles get fairly weak. I also have troubles breathing and staying alseep sometimes, while i was at the ER my breathing symptoms weren't as bad but the nurse at the EOU did say it was diminished. Also I wake up and gasp for air in the middle of the night sometimes. They didn't seem to think this was an issue. I've been getting muscle spasms/twitchs for the past 4 weeks which are sometimes painful sometimes and are more relevant in my left leg. It's been 2 days since i've been to the ER but i don't feel any better, I'm still dizzy as ever and my muscles are still very weak. I'm dizzy and my mind is so foggy i can barely find the words to place into my sentence. My vision can also get blurry and it can be hard to swallow sometimes. I am able to walk around currently, but my breathing randomly gets worse and then better.

Once again sorry for the wall of text, im just so worried i can barely sleep.

Forgot to mention they ordered 80 minutes of MRI for my entire back/neck/brain and found nothing.

Have you been to a dr other than er? That would be my first stop.

I don't have any medical insurance currently and no way to pay for a visit currently.

and i haven't been to a doctor about these issues before* sorry i accdiently hit post.

Doesn't sound like als. Could be something neurological, maybe GBS like they were thinking? Could be MS. Could be anxiety. It really doesn't sound like als though.

Thanks for the response, they are pretty sure it isn't MS. I am currently looking for a way to make a follow up appointment with a neurologist near where i live. another symptom that slipped my mind was Hearing loss which gets better and worse randomly throughout the day.

Can I ask your age? They wouldn't be able to know for sure whether or not you have MS based on just an MRI. People have had clean MRI's only to have lesions show up on a later MRI. Have you had a lumbar puncture? Hearing loss can be a symptom of just about anything or nothing at all. It might just be hearing loss. I just had brain surgery a month ago because of an inner ear problem (Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome). One of my symptoms was hearing loss in the affected ear. I've also had muscle twitching and arm weakness since my SCDS started up. Our body and mind are tied together. When something goes wrong, it can cause a whirlwind of problems. Please don't try to stress about ALS. Your sensory symptoms are not typical for ALS. It would be better for you to try and see a neurologist somehow to work on a diagnosis. I hope you get feeling better!

I have not had a lumbar puncture, the neurologist at the ER didnt think it was necessary. I've noticed my limbs are getting more and more hollow/weightless everyday and i feel a little unbalanced at this point but can still get around alright. I have had some twitching in my eyes that changes my vision rapidly but that usually lasts for a few seconds.

Making to many posts here cant get my mind straight. :?: sorry, i am 20 years old, male.

Chase are you on any medications? Because some medications that affect dopamine in the brain can have these side effects. Just curious.

I was on zithromax and cephalexin 2 weeks ago and i had a allergic reaction to both, other than that i take a nerve tonic occasionally and I take vitamins like b3-12 and magnesium everyday or every other day. Also my breathing seems to get worse at night and i have gotten muscle burn twice now about a week apart in my arms for up to 3 hours.

I was on cephalexin and zithromax 2 weeks ago which both i was allergic to, other than that i take "Hylands Nerve Tonic" every once and a w hile. Other than that i take some Vitamins like B3-12 and Magnesium and some fish oils.

ok i don't know what nerve tonic is....but drugs like epilepsy or mood drugs can have a poor affect on the nervous system. i of course can't diagnose you. Is there a sliding fee clinic that can check you out?

Make sure when you go to bring all medications and supplements with you.

good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back