Reason
Other
Country
DE
State
Germany
City
Karlsruhe
I am a 30 yo old male from Germany. Sorry for my English dear Friends. For 2 years I was experiencig huge stress at work. The first symptoms started about last spring, when I often had the feeling of dead hand and it was hard for me to agitate it in the morning. Sometimes in the evening I remember it somehow hurt so I literally had to lie on it. This eventually improved. At the end of last year began symptoms that were to me mind more 'strange' - I sometimes feel as if my hands were heavy and clumsy -bit weaker. In December, I began to actively run and it has become associated with a very strange pain in left leg (below the knee) and the like tiny vibrations in the heel and leg was a bit stiff. Somehow in February or March this year I began so concerend about those symptoms so I visited GP. He told me that it's probably burnout, but anyway sent me to a neurologist. He did a clinical test with result of normal reflexes. I started having panic from the fact that these symptoms could be related to ALS. I test myself all the time for 'clinical' strength, I go on the toes, I try to unscrew things and lift heavy objects. My question is whether my symptoms are consistent with the RS: clumsiness and sometimes pain in the hands, clumsiness and left leg pain, vibration (vibration as I feel it, but I'm afraid thats constant twitching/fascilulations but not visible with eye) in the whole foot and partly leg (left) THE WHOLE DAY and recently also in my throat (its really like constant buzzing, invisible for an eye) and chest and occasionally slight twitching (visible) in other body parts (but especially in those 'affected'). Surely my condition is affected at the moment psychologically, because of my panic, but on the other hand, its hard to fight those feelings (I have 3 year old son). Sometimes I have slight tingling in the fingers and they seem to be a bit stiff. I also had three days of great pain of the neck and back (perhaps panic, but some patients with ALS indicate this),. My neurologist did not listen to my bagging for EMG and said I certainly have no ALS (know I'm not the typical age of a of this disease is very rare). Next week Ill undergo LP and am very scared of the result. I will be very thankful for the quick response and a bit of calming words. Marek

Marek, you don't have ALS. That is final.

You write about strange feelings. ALS is muscle failure, not strange feelings.

Your symptoms come and go. ALS does not go, it does not get better. ALS always gets worse.

In ALS, your hand muscle would be limp, useless, paralyzed.

Listen to your neurologist. He is right. You don't have ALS.

Thank You very much for Your reply! And I was very sorry to read what happened to You:( you gave me some kind of reassurance and Im very glad! Only thing that is still bothering me is this strange buzzing/constant invisible twitching in my whole leg(not getting better) now spread also to my chin, front neck. I dont really have weak limb, but my calf is hurting and my arms are clumsy:( but I believe fasciculations would not jump from leg to throat that quickly if leg still functions well, or?

Marek, I am sorry you feel strange buzzing and twitching. I am glad you do not have ALS.

We are not doctors. So we cannot diagnose you. But we know ALS fairly well, better than many doctors.

If the buzzing and twitching bother you, see your neurologist. Good luck.

Make, an LP without an EMG would not be used under any suspicion of ALS or similar diseases. But I would ask the neurologist why you need an LP, what s/he is looking for since that is a rather invasive test. I would also seek out a massage therapist who focuses on neuromuscular therapy, and consider a new bed pillow. If you are still experiencing stress at work, of course, it may be time to consider a change or some time away. One thing we can be sure of is that you do not exhibit symptoms of ALS.

Dear lgelb, thanks a lot for Your reply. It seems,, they are looking for MS. There were white spots on my brain MRI. I received Lorazepam for my anxiety last week and my buzzing went simply crazy. I cant sleep at night :( Does anyone have experience with that?

buzzing went simply crazy. I cant sleep at night. Does anyone have experience with that?

MAREK: This is not a general health website. Only people with ALS post here. You do not have ALS. Please understand that the people on this website are dying or caring for dying family. Many of our posters have only months to live, and write slowly using a head-mounted pointing device. It's very tiring to answer questions.

You'll get more help from your doctor or a general health website. Good luck elsewhere.

Im sorry I did not mean to be disrespectful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back